Clear all

Cracks in Acoustic

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@christonabike)
Topic starter  

Hi dudes

I'll cut to the chase here. I was very, very drunk last night and fell off my bike with my guitar (a Martin backpacker) on my back. Happily, I survived with only cuts and bruises, but the guitar now has several large cracks in the front and is almost coming apart where the front joins the main body.

Needless to say, I feel pretty dumb. But what I want to know is - is there anything I can do to patch it up a bit? I can take a pic and send it if that helps at all.

Cheers me dears

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Loosen the strings, wet the cracks just a little with some tap water put on your wet finger, wait a minute, glue with plain old white glue, rubbing that in with your finger too. Work it in well.

Wipe off the excess glue with a wet sponge or paper towel.

Get a bungee cord, or if you don't have that cut up an old spare bike inner tube and tie it around the guitar tight enough to pull the sides together. Wipe off the squeeze out from the cracks.

Leave it overnight.

You might be better served by using one of your existing bike inner tubes. :D

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

+1 ... as Nick says

the good news is that it's a backpacker. even if you only reglue the edges and make sure the bridge is secure, it'll likely be okay. if the bungee keeps slipping off because of the triangular shape, you may be able to get away with weighting the top with books (wax paper in between to avoid sticking).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote