Clear all

Intonation Problem

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@cravethemike)
Topic starter  

Hey All,

Here's a strange scenario I hope you can help me with, I'll try to provide as many details as possible

Guitar: Early 80's Esp M1, neck thru, floyd rose, Ghs Boomers .11-50

Problem
: The guitar is in tune on the open strings, 12th fret, and 12th fret harmonic. For some reason on the low E,A,D,G strings between 2nd and 5th frets the notes are 20 cents sharp. Removing the locking screws at the nut actually seems to help bring the pitch closer to where it's supposed to be but still about 10 cents sharp. The High E,B strings seems to be unaffected, the pickups aren't that close to the strings and I keep pretty high action. The frets in this area seem pretty worn down, and the neck doesn't appear to have any strange warps. I do keep a little bit of an up bow on it, but that's normally how I keep it and have never had this problem before.

Any help guys because I'm stumped.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

close to the nut, it's not the bridge that has the greatest effect on causeing or fixing intonation issues. it's the nut. sounds as if locking down the nut must raise at least some of the strings further above the fretboard. when you push the strings down to the frets to fret notes, it stretches the strings a bit, and they go sharp. if the frets has worn down, then the problem is even worse. it seems as if you have two things to address and/or consider: getting your nut adjusted and checking out those worn frets.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@cravethemike)
Topic starter  

Yea man! Thanks for the help. Seems to make sense that it could be the nut height getting raised somehow. Thanks for the help.

ReplyQuote