Clear all

Cutting a Humbucker to make 4 wires

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@eadgber)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have some stock Epiphone alnico humbuckers that really sound pretty good. I'd like to not destroy them even though that would give a reason to try those GFS's. From what I can see it looks like one of them IS a 4 wire and the other is not.Dose that sound right? It's an Epi LP-100 BTW.

I want to turn these or atleast the one that isn't into 4 wire so I can coil tap & other things.
I found some very simple instructions on how to do it (I forget where now) but they all but say "Never try this!"
Has anyone made that CUT and made your pups 4 wire? Is success very unlikely? Any advice?
THANKS

(@eadgber)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Found the instructions I'm talking about: www.1728.com/guitar1a.htm "Installing 4 Conductor Wiring"

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Are you sure that one is four wire and the other is not? That seems kind of odd.

As for the coil splitting, it seems to me to be a very delicate operation. Realize that the pickup wire is going to be very, very fine (maybe 42 gauge - human hair thickness) and you will need to be very very careful. How handy are you? How good is your soldering skill? Are you willing to risk killing the pickup? Take that all into account and make your choice.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@eadgber)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yep, that is some shinny wire! Had one out looking. I'm probably better off leaving these alone. I'll just have to order some GFS's for it. If I ever get brave enough to try this then I have some stock ceramics I hate so maybe I'll use them as a test.

I was eyeballin closer and you're right both pups are 2 wire.

Now I gotta decide with GFS. Thinking of maybe just replacing the neck,it's too midy and honky. The stock bridge pu sounds good.Being able to flip to single-coil on the neck is what I really want anyway.

ReplyQuote