Dents worn into my rosewood fingerboard

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mad_picker)
Topic starter  

I have a travel-size guitar which I aquired from this site several years ago:
http://www.go-guitars.com/guitars.html
It has much nicer output than the Martin Backpacker, and because it's so easy to pick up I have played it endlessly. Playing this style of guitar can be addictive for a number of reasons: it's ridiculously easy to pick up and even walk around with, the short scale length encourages learning what may otherwise tire you, and the tonal balance is so even that nothing you play sounds like it's getting killed by overwhelming highs or lows. But this is not an ad!

From so much intensive playing, it now has damage in need of attention. I was going to upload a photo from my computer, but I don't see a way of doing that here. It may not matter, since the photo quality is too poor to really show it anyway. There is severe fret wear, which I know is to be expected from a lot of intense playing, but
what really bothers me is the wear on the fretboard in between the strings. This goes deeper than just the finish - if you view it at an angle you can see that my fingers have actually formed indentations in the wood! What seems wrong with this (far past the warranty expiration or no) is that this model was sold with the claim of rosewood for a fingerboard, which I understand is an industry standard. Is it unusual that a rosewood fingerboard would be worn down like that from being played, rendering it in need of replacement?

(@ashepps)

I have a travel-size guitar which I aquired from this site several years ago:
http://www.go-guitars.com/guitars.html It has much nicer output than the Martin Backpacker, and because it's so easy to pick up I have played it endlessly. Playing this style of guitar can be addictive for a number of reasons: it's ridiculously easy to pick up and even walk around with, the short scale length encourages learning what may otherwise tire you, and the tonal balance is so even that nothing you play sounds like it's getting killed by overwhelming highs or lows. But this is not an ad! From so much intensive playing, it now has damage in need of attention. I was going to upload a photo from my computer, but I don't see a way of doing that here. It may not matter, since the photo quality is too poor to really show it anyway. There is severe fret wear, which I know is to be expected from a lot of intense playing, but
what really bothers me is the wear on the fretboard in between the strings. This goes deeper than just the finish - if you view it at an angle you can see that my fingers have actually formed indentations in the wood! What seems wrong with this (far past the warranty expiration or no) is that this model was sold with the claim of rosewood for a fingerboard, which I understand is an industry standard. Is it unusual that a rosewood fingerboard would be worn down like that from being played, rendering it in need of replacement?

This sounds peculiar to me, ebony is the wood of choice for fretboards because of it's hardness quality, but any secondary guitar uses Rosewood. I have just sold my hand made 1972 Yamaha and the fretboard of ebony does not have an indent on it. I do have a Yamaha Silent Guitar with rosewood and it standing up well, but I have only had it since February of this year and it would seem I don't play as much as you. Yamaha does have a lifetime warranty, but if the problem is from excessive wear and tear they might say no, however if it was determined that it was inferior Rosewood or not Rosewood at all you might have a case. I have never heard of wearing the fingerboard out, but maybe that pertains to Ebony only.

Cheers,
Alan

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I'll be honest, I've seen any number of rosewood fretboards wear down a little, some even noticeably so, but I've never seen one wear out to the point where it needs replacing. It's not a warranty issue; there is probably nothing wrong with the wood.

Have a chat with your local shop. The fretboard may be replaceable, or it may be a "whole new neck" moment; it might even be cheaper to buy a new guitar.

As New Alan has just mentioned, Ebony is also popular for fretboards, although I've never seen it used on a production electric (my Classical Guitars have ebony fretboards as standard). My 2000 Alhambra 4P (my main concert guitar) has an ebony fretboard, and that has worn quite smooth on the treble side, but it's not indented yet.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote