Notifications
Clear all

doubleneck neck selector switch

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@chowlee)
Topic starter  

Hi guys, I just built a double neck, bass/guitar, the top being a Peavey 4 string with 3 pots and the bottom being a Dean 6 string with 2 pots and a 3 way switch and having 2 input jacks. I placed the bass controls up in the upper section and the guitar controls down as per the original guitar and added a 3 way switch in the upper control pocket as neck selector. I had no idea how to wire this switch, so I let the guitar shop do the reconnecting of the pickups and the new switch. I want to switch one way for bass, the other for guitar and in the middle for both and the shop is having trouble getting this done. Has anyone here done anything like this and/or have a suggestion? Any help will be appreciated.

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Take a look at this guitar wiring schematic:

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Electronics/Switches/i-3528.html

It's for a strat-style guitar, and even though I'll assume that you DON'T have this wiring for either guitar, it'll help me illustrate a point.

Do you see where the output for the guitar is? (it reads "hot output to jack") Now trace that wire back to the middle lug on the pot. The lug on the right goes to ground and the lug on the left will go to your switch. That part on the switch is a common connection (it is the switch lug #8 on the diagram), so it will connect to whatever pickup (and respective tone pot) is selected by the switch.

Therefore, if you can find this "common connection" on both switches, you should be able to wire the double-neck's main switch by having the 2 wires coming from each switches common connection going to the switch and having the hot output wire also going to the switch (this would be connected to the switch's middle lug, or common). You can use a LP pickup selector style switch for this.

I just want to say that I think it's really cool that you built a double-neck. As a fellow D-I-Yer (my experience has mainly focused on guitar wiring and effects pedal building) I am quite envious!

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Yah, can we see some pictures on this. Jeez, I'm still in the middle of several other builds, don't make me DIYgas a doubleneck. I probably almost got enough stuff, but... invariably I buy extra parts and experiment until "near" perfection before full disclosure. At this point, I already have too many things going on!!!!!!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@chowlee)
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, for the input and encouragement. I'm really anxious to finish "sweet thang". And to 97reb, yeah it is a small world, I'm from Charlotte

ReplyQuote
(@blackdiamond13)
Eminent Member

hey, are you still around? do you want to post pictures of what you did? i think there are quite a few people other than me who would like to see that, as well- blackdiamond13

Up The Irons!!

ReplyQuote
(@chowlee)
Topic starter  

yeah, I've got a picture but I don't know how to post it. It is a sweet sounding guitar and I'm building another, a semi-hollow doubleneck.

ReplyQuote