Epi Alleykat wont intonate

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@basementplayer)
Topic starter  

High E wont intonate! Ran out of adjustment, now what? :shock:

(@alangreen)

How old is the string and is it sharp or flat at the 12th fret?

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@basementplayer)
Topic starter  

They are older and it is flat!

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Ditto on the strings. Are they new, or old? Is this the first time you have tryed to intonate the guitar? If you have done it before, have you changed anything else?

If this is the first time its been done on this guitar, there is always the chance it is slighty out of specs. If thats the case, it LOOKS like a normaly EPI LP bridge on this. if so the nashville style bridges have a bit more adjustment room. Might help you if this is the case. But if its been done before... and cant now, I would be looking for what changed on the guitar sence last time.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

They are older and it is flat!

Sorry I missed this post. Time for some new strings. they are probably just dead. Pop some new strings on, and I bet you will be go to go, and beable to adjust it fine.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I only adjust intonation with new strings for that reason. Adjust it with old ones, change your strings and now your intonation is out and you have to do it again. If you change them and it is still flat, you might not have enough bridge for the adjustment. In this case you can, get a "Nashville" style bridge, raise your action, change your string guage or live with it. I have put Guitar Fetish bridges on alot of my Epiphone guitars.

Hopefully the new strings fix it though but if not their bridges are only like $12 and they have the large bushing ones to fit Asain made guitars like Epiphones.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Large-Bushing-Tuneomatic-Style-Chrome-Bridge_p_444.html

PS Not pushing the thing at you, just providing answers to anticipated questions. Also if you did do it realize that it is not necessary to replace the ridged part that fits down inside ther guitar (Top right in pic). The threaded posts fit right into the existing ones in the guitar and the bridge drops right on. It is a simple job.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

If you change them and it is still flat, you might not have enough bridge for the adjustment. In this case you can, get a "Nashville" style bridge, raise your action, change your string guage or live with it. I have put Guitar Fetish bridges on alot of my Epiphone guitars.

Hopefully the new strings fix it though but if not their bridges are only like $12 and they have the large bushing ones to fit Asain made guitars like Epiphones.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Large-Bushing-Tuneomatic-Style-Chrome-Bridge_p_444.html

PS Not pushing the thing at you, just providing answers to anticipated questions. Also if you did do it realize that it is not necessary to replace the ridged part that fits down inside ther guitar (Top right in pic). The threaded posts fit right into the existing ones in the guitar and the bridge drops right on. It is a simple job.

I did the swap on my LP, and it was real easy! I did it manly to get rid of a bad buzzing in the old one, but the extra adjustablity was real nice also!!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@basementplayer)
Topic starter  

If you change them and it is still flat, you might not have enough bridge for the adjustment. In this case you can, get a "Nashville" style bridge, raise your action, change your string guage or live with it. I have put Guitar Fetish bridges on alot of my Epiphone guitars.

I did the swap on my LP, and it was real easy! I did it manly to get rid of a bad buzzing in the old one, but the extra adjustablity was real nice also!!!
Thanks all for responding! Y he link to the bridge is great, mine also rattles! Also I did not realize that guitar strings would lose intonation after time!!! Bridge on order !!!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

When strings get old they don't vibrate in the same "true" mannor they do when new. This can cause tuning and intonation issues. The wound strings get gunk in between their windings and it alters the vibration. I was once told I could boil my strings if I couldn't afford new ones but never tried it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Plus when strings get old, they stretch but they don't stretch evenly across the entire string. In addition, they have those 'zebra stripe' worn parts from rubbing against the frets.

I always check the intonation when I put new strings on the guitar. Hardly ever have to adjust them, and when I do, it's usually only a tad.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote