Clear all

Epiphone Les Paul Standard/studio

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking to buy a new guitar and i love les paul standards and studios but theres no way i'll be able to afford the good old Gibson original. So... the next option is to go for an Epiphone version, is this a good choice? I think i'm right in saying that they're about ... £300 - £400, I'm just looking for some advice really. Thanks A lot guys for all the feedback in the other forums as well.

( Is it true what they say about cheap electrics in Epiphones ? could i upgrade these at a later date if this is so ?

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Quote: upgrade cheap electrics ?

Yes, you can. There is plenty of options when it come to wiring combinations. Like in and out of phase, push/pull switch's, on-board pre-amps, etc. or upgrading the parts with higher end electronics. The mods would be endless. I would probably just use whats there until I started having problems then make the changes. There is also the chance that the one you purchase will work fine for years.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

You're right, Epi LP's do have cheaper electronics that fail more easily. The pup switch and output jack are common complaints. Lots of people buy LP's and then soup them up.

Quite a few people can't tell the difference after upgrades, unless you're really picky about wood grain patterns, ect. What matters is that it sounds great to you, and your amp plays a big role in things also. So when you buy, my advice would be to look more at the action, body, and finish than the electronics. You're probably going to replace them later anyway.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I'm looking to buy a new guitar and i love les paul standards and studios but theres no way i'll be able to afford the good old Gibson original. So... the next option is to go for an Epiphone version, is this a good choice? I think i'm right in saying that they're about ... £300 - £400

That's 550-750 USD... enough to get a Genuine gibson product, no sweat. You should be able to find a Studio in this range without too much trouble. You may have to get one that's 1-3 years used, but no need to go to the epiphoney's at that range when you can get something guaranteed made out of good wood, high quality humbuckers, nice nitro finish, etc.

If you think it through, spend $350US on a new epi, then spend $200US to upgrade all the electronics, pups, tuners, etc, you're upgrading to get something you could have afforded anyways, and your guitar won't have the same resale value.

Take some time, play bunches of guitars, read through some catalogs, hunt around on eBay. Don't settle.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Like many items, the UK price is the same in pounds as it is in the US in dollars, so a $1000 Gibson in the US will cost £1000 in the UK.

Try this ebay shop for low UK Gibson prices

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Like many items, the UK price is the same in pounds as it is in the US in dollars, so a $1000 Gibson in the US will cost £1000 in the UK.
Any chance that works the same for Mexico. I could definately afford a guitar that was 1200 Pesos. Would definately be worth the trip for a shopping spree!!! :lol:

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I purchased an Epi Les Paul Standard a couple of months ago, and it plays and sounds great. I was in the same situation, wanted a Gibson Les Paul Standard, didn't have the $ ! So I comprimised. No complaints. And one day I will have the original!! :D

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot guys, i think in a couple of times i'll look around, What other les paul types are there which are worth a look at in that kind of price compared to the epiphones?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

There was a time when Fender and Gibson were in legal battle for patent infringements with companies like Hondo, Hyundai, Lotus, Sekova, Tokai, Univox. These are worth a look into, even the older ones from the seventies. These companies vastly improved the quality of their guitar manufacturing and were beginning to eat into the markets that Fender and Gibson dominated. The quality of the replication and the price made them ideal for many guitar players just starting out to afford.

This is why Gibson bought Epiphone and Fender started making the squier was to avoid this happening again.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Sure, but not USED, right? If you're low budget you HAVE to go used.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I pickup used guitars all the time, name brand and no name. It doesn't matter to me if I like the way it plays and sounds. Then it's found a new home. My very first electric guitar I payed $25.00 for and it had seen its share of smoke filled honky tonks. I didn't care that it was green with 4 single coils and imitation gold inlay. She rocked like no tomorrow.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------
---------------12-------------------------12-------------------
--9---9---9--12--12---7---7---7---9--12--12---12---12-
--9---9---9--10--12---7---7---7---9--10--12---12---12-
--7---7---7-------10---5---5---5---7-------10---10---10-

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@silenus)
Eminent Member

How about wax-potting the humbuckers?
I also have an Epi G400 and was told it
would be increase the soundQ of tha Hum's.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

(reposting this -- site deleted it for some unknown reason)

Wax potting eliminates microphonics, making the guitar more resistant to feedback, esp. at high volumes. However, some players actually prefer the more "live" sound of un-potted pups.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote