Epiphone Les Paul wiring

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

G'Day,
I've got an Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Korea) & an Epiphone 'Slash' Les Paul Standard Plus top (China).
What I like to do is just run my amp hot & then control overdrive with the volume knob. When I dial back the pot on the custom it cleans up the sound & volume is similar (just a bit quieter) almost straight away (7-8 of 10 maybe) & I've found this really usefull. However on the 'Slash', the overdrive doesn't clear up, it just gets quieter until about 1-2 out of ten & then it finally cleans up. This isn't as usefull, when trying to flip knobs on the go.

Now the question is, would this be due to different types of pots/wiring or pick-ups? I have a G&L Asat that behaves exactly like the custom, which is why I reckon it's pot set-up, not pickups....?

My understanding is that they have very similar (if not the same) pick-ups. Body construction is very similar as well (mahogany/maple).

Cheers dudes & Merry Christmas.

"Who says you can't 'dive bomb' a bigsby?!"

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Probably the pots are the same, around 500 K (perhaps different brands). I guess the most important are the pickups, probably the Slash's ones are hotter than the Custom's. The difference in the brand should not be as notorious in the volume. Try to find the values of your volume pots.

One of the pickups' parameters is the 'output'. Try to find the output for each pickup in your guitars and compare them. Probably the Slash's pickups have a higher output.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Is it possible that Slash spec'ed linear taper (instead of the usual audio taper) pots in his LP? That might account for the behavior. The pots usually are marked if Audio taper -- with at least an "A" near the value.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I was thinking the same. Sounds like a linear pot where an audio one's called for.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It seems that the Slash uses Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro that are not very hot pickups according the specs. So the linear pots theory seems even more plausible.

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, I'll check that out. I really like the sound of the 'Slash' but it would be even better if I can get it to behave like the custom...

Cheers
:)

"Who says you can't 'dive bomb' a bigsby?!"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I'm pretty sure that Slash guitar has different pickups than the custom. It should for the street price! Some of those hotter pups won't clean up like you'd prefer. But, if you have a LP Custom why would you want to have the Slash guitar do the same thing anyway?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote