Notifications
Clear all

fender 5-way selector switch

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@eyeless1220)
Topic starter  

ok, so I'm rebuilding an old guitar and I want to install a 5-way toggle switch(its an old fender) it has a 3 way in it right now, but it has three single coil pickups and I want my 5 options! Can anyone please tell me how to wire this bad boy up? I'm confused as hell and don't want to screw it up.
thanks,
eyeless1220 :?

(@jminor)
Estimable Member

Check out:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/
and
http://www.guitartechcraig.com/

Loads of diagrams and info about standard and non-standard guitar wiring...

Peace
J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

A standard strat wiring arrangement, diagrammed to perfection:
http://static.zoovy.com/img/guitarelectronics/-/wdu_sss5l12_01

The rest of the site is pretty darned useful too:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources/

That one came from the '3 Pickup Universal & Custom' section, there's a few more options though if you want something a little different.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Heres the pic from guitarelectronics.com

I've only got one problem with this diagram. When I followed it by connecting the left lug of the volume pot to the left #1 and right #4 on the 5 way it didn't work so I ran a jumper from the left #1 to the right #4 and only attached the left volume to the left #1 on the switch it's the same only different. Worked like a charm. By the way try to use a Fender gold switch they work better than the cheap wafer switches and only run about $12 USD.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Like you say, it's the same only different. *cough* dodgy soldering! *cough* :mrgreen: I'm not really one to talk though, it normally takes me a few goes to get a decent connection anywhere... I'm only mentioning it in case someone reading thinks the diagram is wrong.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Oh no !! The diagram is correct. It's my crappy wiring. I only mention it in case it doesn't work. Took me about a week to figure it out.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@lummoxx)
Trusted Member

Since we're on the subject of Fender 5-ways...is it common for the end positions to be so noisy? The middle 3 are dead silent, but 1 and 5 have a very noticeable buzz.

------
Lummoxx
-Fender Stratocaster Splatter
-Line6 GuitarPort
-Marshall Half Stack MG100HDFX/MG412 Cab
-Boss "Heavy Metal" HM-2
-Current GAS Pain: WARBEAST!

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Typically 1,3,and 5 are noisy because they are just the single coils 2 and 4 are 2 coils out of phaze almost like a humbucker. To decrease the noise you might look into shielding your cavity. if you goto Guitarnuts I think they've got pretty good instuctions.

ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@lummoxx)
Trusted Member

Ah, awesome. Just wasn't sure if that was typical or not, thanks! :)

If I don't stop playing, you can't hear it. :D

------
Lummoxx
-Fender Stratocaster Splatter
-Line6 GuitarPort
-Marshall Half Stack MG100HDFX/MG412 Cab
-Boss "Heavy Metal" HM-2
-Current GAS Pain: WARBEAST!

ReplyQuote
(@vers1on)

How do you even install a pickup selector switch? Or take it out for that matter. The head is stuck onto the other side of the pickguard, so how do you put one in/take it out? Just pull?

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

By head I'm assuming that's the knob on top? It pulls off and then you undo the screws on either end at that point it'll fall out. Remember which way it goes back in. I put reference arrows on mine with a Sharpie i.e. , neck-----> Ect....
Then comes the hard part you have to desolder the wires connecting it( It's best here to take several digital still for reference) Resolder and reinstall.

ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote