Skip to content
Shimmering sound on...

Notifications
Clear all

Shimmering sound on the high strings (help needed)

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@surly)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem im having with my guitar.

When i play, the higher strings make this sort of shimmering sound. Its not fret buzzing or anything like that. Its this very shrill noise that seems to be coming either off the strings themselves or from the soundhole. Its hardly noticeable but it annoys me alot.

The main note im trying to play sounds fine and but just as i strike the string for about half a second there is this very quiet but very high shimmering sound. (Sorry thats the best i can describe it)

Heres a few notes that hopefully will help diagnosis:
Its most pronounced on the high 2 strings but you can also hear it on the middle 2, not at all on the low E.
I changed my strings today to try and fix it but if anything its worse with the new strings.
Im using light phosphor strings on an Garrison G25E.

I dont think something in the guitar is resonating because it happens on 4 different strings all the way up the fretboard. To me it sounds like the string itself is making 2 distinct noises at the same time, but im not a rocket scientist. Maybe i just need heavier or better strings?

Anyway, there is a mp3 on my soundclick or me just playing the high strings, you might need headphones to hear the shimmering but its there if you know what your listening for. as i said just listen for a fraction of a second after i first strike the note.

http://www.soundclick.com/surlywastaken

If anyone knows what it is/if it can be fixed etc i would really appreciate it.
Thanks!

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Well for one they sound NEW and CRISP.

Just play em and they soon get a duller sound.

To my ears the only thing that comes to mind is they're very BRIGHT sounding. New strings do that... I rather light the Brightness on my treble strings. That's how I know when to change... cuz they go dull... really dull.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@surly)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

perhaps but it really is a distinct sound from the note itself.
i dont think its come across well on the recording, like I can hear it when i listen to that recording, but only just and only with headphones on. Its one of those things that its probably been there for ages, but its not until you notice it once and then its almost all you can hear.

Is it possible for a string to produce 2 different notes at the same time?

thanks for the help anyway. I might put my old strings back on and see if it goes away. its good to hear at least the guitar sounds nice and bright :)

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Here's a question for you: how low is your action. If the strings are very close to the fretboard, it could be some very slight fret buzz. I've actually seen this before, and it sounded just like you describe. If this is the case, your guitar's truss rod needs to be loosened slightly to give the neck some relief.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Or also it could simply be Sympathetic ringing of another string?

I know when I tune with out muting the other strings its not so accurate a reading...

I also like the action theory.. I notice that every so often in the hot hot weather everything relaxes and I usually have to adjust my bridge just a tiny bit to get it right.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@surly)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks for all the help guys,
i eventually figured it out,
when i restrung my guitar i didnt pull one of the strings tight enough before i put the pin in so a couple of milimetres of extra string was resonating just under the bridge.
this is probably a schoolboy error and all seasoned guitarists will be chuckling heartily, but i havent re strung that many guitars in my life,

anyway, cheers again!

ReplyQuote