Notifications
Clear all

Fender Squire Chambered Telecaster

14 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@eddies880)
Topic starter  

Got a Fender Squier chambered tele,,,,,,,started adjusting the intonation,,then realized that adjustment (on all 6 strings)is as far as it will go,,,,,bummer!!
The freken bridge is in the wrong place!!!!!!!!
It needs to be moved back about 1/8th of an inch if not more
Has anybody here taken this on????
Im stuck with the guitar,so come hell or high water,I gotta fix it!

Looking for the Perfect Tone

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I just saw some pics of it - beauty!

When y ou adjusted the intonation, did you have a new set of strings on? If not, try it again with a fresh pack. If so and it's still that far off, wow, reminds me of my Rickenbacker 4001 bass; it had a misplaced bridge too, but it would've been easier to move.

With that Gibson style bridge though, it would probably be best to take it to a luthier. You'd need to have the studs removed, holes filled, and then have new holes drilled with probably a drillpress.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Yikes! that is a serious screw up on Squiers part imo.

i would assume that these guitars are made on a jig that drills the holes to mount the bridge in each one in exactly the same place.
is there a possibility that you might be missing something to allow further adjustment?

can you provide pics?

btw, Welcome to GN.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@eddies880)
Topic starter  

Yikes! that is a serious screw up on Squiers part imo.

i would assume that these guitars are made on a jig that drills the holes to mount the bridge in each one in exactly the same place.
is there a possibility that you might be missing something to allow further adjustment?

can you provide pics?

btw, Welcome to GN.Sorry no pics,,Ive looked at all my options in detail,cked and double cked,,with out a dought,,the freken bridge is in the wrong spot,its a real bummer cause I really love the tone of the guitar.
This isnt my guitar,but take a look at just how close the bridge is to the pick-up http://www.bananas.com/productdetail.asp/pid_9018/productname_Fender-Squier-Master-Series-Chambered-Telecaster .
Fender really dropped the ball on this one,,,once again,,giving Squire the notorious P.O.S. award.
Ive already read reviews at other threads where they mentioned the bridge being in the wrong place.
I havent done any precise measurments yet,,but Im guessing it has to be moved back about 1/8th of an inch.

ReplyQuote
(@eddies880)
Topic starter  

I just saw some pics of it - beauty!

When y ou adjusted the intonation, did you have a new set of strings on? If not, try it again with a fresh pack. If so and it's still that far off, wow, reminds me of my Rickenbacker 4001 bass; it had a misplaced bridge too, but it would've been easier to move.

With that Gibson style bridge though, it would probably be best to take it to a luthier. You'd need to have the studs removed, holes filled, and then have new holes drilled with probably a drillpress.I know I can tackle the job of removing the studs and redrilling,Im just worried about putting the studs in the right spot,,,but hell,,any thing is better than where there at right now.
Thnks for the reply

ReplyQuote
(@eddies880)
Topic starter  

DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just wanted to advise future Squire Chambered Telecaster owners of the inpending doom of not being able to adjust intonation correctly due to INCORRECT PLACEMENT OF BRIDGE.
But fret not,with the proper tools it can be fixed.
I fixed mine,I pulled the bridge inserts,installed glued hard wood dowels,redrilled new holes for the inserts,installed the inserts,reinstalled bridge,restrung,cked intonation,BAMM!-done.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

awesome work! glad to hear you were able to fix it.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Great!

I was sort of thinking it might be iffy with the chambers in there, but now I'm thinking they probably wouldn't put chambers near the bridge.

Good job!

ReplyQuote
(@eddies880)
Topic starter  

awesome work! glad to hear you were able to fix it.Thnks for the support,this is a great forum,wish I would of found it earlier.
Hey,,thats got to be the only left handed,guitar playing gorilla ,Ive ever seen!

ReplyQuote
(@eddies880)
Topic starter  

Great!

I was sort of thinking it might be iffy with the chambers in there, but now I'm thinking they probably wouldn't put chambers near the bridge.

Good job!The only chamber/slot I ran into, was at the bottom of the inserts bore hole closest to the control pod.
I spotted some wiring at the bottom of the bore hole,through further inspection,I realized that the bored hole for the wiring,ran into the bottom of the bore hole for the bridge insert,,not a problem,,just grabbed some small tweezers and moved the wiring out of the way before installing the dowel.
Thnns for the help DemoEtc.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Great!

Good job!The only chamber/slot I ran into, was at the bottom of the inserts bore hole closest to the control pod.
I spotted some wiring at the bottom of the bore hole,through further inspection,I realized that the bored hole for the wiring,ran into the bottom of the bore hole for the bridge insert,,not a problem,,just grabbed some small tweezers and moved the wiring out of the way before installing the dowel.

Cool! I guess that wire was the string-grounding wire that connects to the bridge/studs.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Wow, great story and good job on the mod!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@eddies880)
Topic starter  

Great!

Cool! I guess that wire was the string-grounding wire that connects to the bridge/studs.Thats what I thought at 1st,but the grnd wire for the guitar is going to the saddle inserts,just like a L.P.

ReplyQuote
(@eddies880)
Topic starter  

Squire chambered Tele is finally fixed (completely)
Some more notes for future Squire chambered Tele owners.
1. The bridge is in the wrong place, correctly setting intonation cannot be achieved unless bridge is moved,but it can be done.
2. The nut is specifically set (filed) for 9 gauge,if you wanna go 10 gauge,slight mod will have to be done to the nut.
3. The string tree,s are also in the wrong place,there is no "straight string pull",not a big deal,it can be fixed.
4. Change out the bridge saddles with new,ungrooved saddles and set (file)your own action to your taste,without any buzz.
Sounds like a lot of work,but its not.
I put the guitar through the paces via 3 gigs,12 hrs of play time,1 indoor gig,2 out door,guitar went through temp changes from 83 degrees down to 53 degrees with about 40% humd.
I must say,this guitar really plays well,and the set neck,mohogony body and the Duncans,are a perfect combo.

ReplyQuote