Clear all

Fender "Texas Special" Tremelo help

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've got a used Fender "Texas Special" Strat. It's one of hte mexican made jobs, with the texas special pickups and a tremelo. I don't know what make the trem is.

Anyway, I got it without a trem arm. I'd like to replace the whole thing, since I have no idea if just getting a fender arm will fit, so I figure if I buy a whole trem setup, everything will fit.

My question is this -- what do I buy?!

I really have no idea what to purchase. I hear "floyd rose" is good, but when I look at their stuff, it doesn't come with a "fits fender stratocasters" label.

So can someone tell me what I need to buy to have something that will fit correctly the first time?

Thanks!

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Fender offer two kinds of vibrato unit - vintage and two post (it has a name, but I can't remember it). The vintage has 6 screws on the leading edge, which act as the pivot for the vibrato block. The two-post unit has exactly that - two posts instead of the 6 screws.

You should be able to use any Fender unit, with the right number of screws/posts. I'm pretty sure that you can also use Wilkinson units as a straight drop in and also Point Technologies units. Both of these are reputed to return to tune better than the standard Fender units.

As far as I know, you will not be able to install a Floyd-Rose without having additional routing work done (at the back to make room for the tuning mechanism).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

From the pictures I've been able to find of the "Texas Special," they all seem to have the exact same trem system as my regular MIM Strat does. Unless your trem has already been replaced with a non-Fender unit, I would wager a strong guess and say that a standard $10 Fender replacement arm would do you just fine, and would be a lot easier (and cheaper!) than replacing the entire system. :)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sorry, double post.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote