Clear all

Fishman Powerbridge Installation

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone... I bought a used Strat that has a Fishman Powerbridge (tremolo) already installed. It is installed in passive mode 9no preamp), and I can get the following sounds:

Chord plugged all the way into the jack - magnetic pickups only
Chord plugged 3/4 into the jack - peizo pickups
Chord plugged 1/2 into the jack - combined magnetic and peizo

So, that sounds very cool. No noticable drop-off in volume when switching. I wanted to add a 3-way switch to the pickguard and wire the pups to that switch instead of using the input jack. I read that there could be an impedence issue if i don't use a powerchip/on-board preamp. Is this true? The Fishman installation instructions are "marginal" at best. Is there an issue with the way I'm using the guitar now? I don't want to blow my amp or anything.

I don't want to add an on-board preamp since I don't want a battery compartment. The way it is wired works ok, but it isn't practical since the chord isn't pluuged all the way into the guitar in the latter settings. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I took a quick glance at the installation guide, and based on what I think you're going for (blending both signals onboard passively, then running to a mono output jack), the manual very specifically says "it won't work."
This may seem like a good idea, but it won't work. If you connect the piezo and magnetic outputs, you will experience a loss of tone and a very bizarre and un-musical interaction between the Powerbridgeâ„¢ and magnetic pickups.

Magnetic and piezo pickups operate on different electrical platforms. Magnetics are "inductors" and piezos are "capacitive" devices. To mix signals on the instrument you'll need to electronically isolate or "buffer" the two signals with an active mixing circuit like the Fishman Powerchipâ„¢.

So you either need the powerchip on board, or you need their powerblend pedal, or you need to run the two different signals elsewhere and blend manually (e.g., via a mixer.)

All you're doing now is using a mono cable with a stereo jack, so you won't blow anything up ... but I'm guessing the jack could more easily be physically damaged. Or the cable. Any you might not be properly grounded via the cable, which could be dangerous ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi Mitch - it is funny, because it certainly sounds VERY musical in the current set up. I actually don't want to mix the signals (although it sounds pretty cool), but I DO want to be able to turn the bank of pickups (magnetic and piezo) on or off with a switch instead of the jack. If I can wire it to allow the mixing, all the better.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Otherwise.... you'll see a Powerbridge for sale shortly coming to a forum near you!

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Another option (instead of adding a switch to your guitar) would be to use a 3 conductor plug and cable to a footswitch of your own invention, containing a pair of press-on/press/off switches to select either/both of the pickups.

That would be doing the same thing you are doing with the cable, but in a more reliable way. And less risk of damaging the jack&plug.

More to your question, since it's all passive, you won't risk "blowing something up".
And if you are getting the sound you want, despite what the manual says go for it.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@flatliner)

Dali, did you ever get an answer to your question and/or resolve this issue? I have the same question. Looks like some are using push-pull pots.

ReplyQuote