Notifications
Clear all

TuneOmatic bridge question

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@robblue)
Topic starter  

Hi chaps...I just got a new axe...this time with a tuneomatic bridge...which is a new thing for me...I have always worked with Floyd´s.

The NewB question (dont laugh to hard) to adjust the intonaton on this thing.....Do I have to detune (loosen string tension) to move the saddles back and forth? Or I can just move the saddles while the strings are in tune? :?:
Thanks
Rob.

(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I de-tune slightly when adjusting, although I don't think it is totally necessary.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

As you're going to have to re-tune, whichever way you move the saddle, it makes sense to always de-tune and then re-tune

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@robblue)
Topic starter  

As you're going to have to re-tune, whichever way you move the saddle, it makes sense to always de-tune and then re-tune

:oops: You are right!
have to tune again anyway :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@xylembassguitar)
Trusted Member

It's probably safest to de-tune the strings when adjusting TOM saddles. Sometimes if you don't de-tune, the saddle won't move as far as you turned the screw because it gets caught on the windings of a string. So, the saddle moves only 3/4 of the amount that you turned the adjustment screw and your tuner tells you that you're intonated. Then when you're out playing a gig, you hit that string a little extra hard, the saddle moves the rest of the way and your intonation goes out of whack for the rest of the set!

Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars

ReplyQuote
(@robblue)
Topic starter  

It's probably safest to de-tune the strings when adjusting TOM saddles. Sometimes if you don't de-tune, the saddle won't move as far as you turned the screw because it gets caught on the windings of a string. So, the saddle moves only 3/4 of the amount that you turned the adjustment screw and your tuner tells you that you're intonated. Then when you're out playing a gig, you hit that string a little extra hard, the saddle moves the rest of the way and your intonation goes out of whack for the rest of the set!

Sounds very logic....yeup got it....detune prior moving saddles.

Thanks ;)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I wondered if you kept it tuned up, if it might not catch the windings on the strings and move them a bit around the core wire?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I mostly only play with stop bars and I always loosen the strings, if an intonation adjustment is needed.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I never de-tune when setting intonation on a TOM. Well unless you have to stretch it like a 1/4 inch. If its just a few turns I wouldn't worry about it.

ReplyQuote