Clear all

Fixing chips in the paint and re-painting

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just a couple of thoughts, I have a light blue guitar and there are several areas where there are chips in the paint (it is very noticeable most of the time), i was just wondering what i could do to fix this problem... should i use some sort of filler to fill the crack/chip and then look for paint of the same colour and paint over it?

Also, I really don't like the blue colour on my guitar, i'd rather go with a mahogany or jet black. What are your thoughts on re-painting a guitar, is it worth a shot or only will lead to trouble? As well, do you think a repair shop would be willing to do this? if so, for how much approxametly?

Thanks

Steve-0

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you go to http://www.guitarists.net there is one of the members there that does repaint jobs - LMS or LMG, something like that. He has a website so you can see what he charges.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

To fill chips, take your guitar down to someplace that sells nail polish. Try to match the color.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Just a few words on jet black: my informants tell me that a shiny black finish is the most unforgiving and difficult finish you could possibly do. It may not be appropriate for a first try.

Edit: I notice that you weren't thinking about doing it yourself. In that case, black is no problem. Well, not your problem anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, if I could get it down for a decent amount of money (somewhere between 100-200$) then I would let a proffessional do it, however if it's more expensive perhaps I'll just leave it blue and fix up the finish or find a different colour. I honestly don't think painting the guitar is the problem, the part of stripping the paint scares me the most.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote