Notifications
Clear all

Flaky-sounding strat

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@sammyd56)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone, this is my first post here :) I've come looking for help for a problem I'm having with my Fender Strat (Mexican).

Basically it sounds really flaky and weak, it's hard to describe so I've attached an mp3 so you can see what I mean: http://www.samsforum.com/strat.mp3

The previous owner had rewired it with new pots and switch and had done a messy job with the soldering, so I thought that was the problem. However I've bought a brand new loaded pickguard and the problem hasn't gone away :( I'd be really grateful if you'd tell me what the problem might be, it's driving me mad.

Thanks so much for your time,

Sam

(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

What are you using for an amp?

ReplyQuote
(@sammyd56)
Topic starter  

I'm playing it through PC speakers using a Toneport. However it sounds much the same through my PA system. i think i can hear a buzz at the nut (on all of the strings - both open and fretted). could it perhaps be a setup problem?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Have you ever tried it through a real guitar amp? PC speakers (toneport or not) will sound wimpy unless you have something premium with a reasonable woofer. Through a PA, most electric guitars sound thin and sterile unless one uses a modeler or processing preamp between the guitar and PA. Moreover, a PA input is not going have a high enough impedance for a passive pup guitar (like yours), and that will usually roll off the high end a bit. Even without any processing to sound like a guitar amp, the PA would at least require a DI (Direct Injection or Input) box to provide the guitar a good loading impedance.

Have you tried any other electric guitars through these setups with good results? If not, you probably have your answer. BTW, using good headphones instead of PC speakers with the PC + toneport may give you far better results.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@sammyd56)
Topic starter  

I should have mentioned that I'm using a pretty high-end speaker system. I've also got it rigged up to out from the Toneport ot the PA and it sounds exactly the same. Unfortunately I don't have a proper amp to try it with at the moment. I think I can hear a string buzz at the nut - could it be that that is causing it?

ReplyQuote