Clear all

Floyd Rose Bridge Set Up Problem

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@xdamnablex)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi I have a Ibanez RG 320FMTL. When I purchased the guitar it had smaller gauged strings on it. I went ahead and put on GHS Boomers Guitar Strings gauges 11-50. I had to tighten the spring claw to get the bridge level with the body. I had it all set up and perfect.

It came time to replace the strings. I got the exact same strings, same gauges. But this time it is pulling up the bridge majorly. I can't get the tuning with in a whole step of what it should be. So I replaced the springs too. That didn't help either.

What do I do?!! I can't go without playing my guitar for much longer!

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your saying, you've took the cover off and tightened the screws to the spring claws to bring the bridge back to a floating position? (srewed in) and it didn't help. Are the screws for the spring claw all the way screwed in or is there room for more adjustment?

Whenever you adjust the spring claw/screws/tremolo you need to do it in small adjustments at a time. Suppose you lossen the strings a little, then turn the screws to the spring claw in one complete turn or so, Tune the guitar again and check the bridge, if it's still to high and you have adjustment room screw them in a little more. NOTE: you will need to loosen the strings to take the tension off the bridge and spring claw, it will make them easier to adjust.

You may have to adjust numerous times before its just the way you like it, I've also seen where this has to be done everytime strings are changed. I know it can seem like a hassle but it's well worth it when squack a pinch harmonic and push or pull the bar, the audience goes crazy and starts clapping and screaming for more. "Screaming lean on that guitar some".
joe

ReplyQuote
(@xdamnablex)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Everytime even though I am putting on the same gauge strings and same brand? Yeah I had to adjust the claw the first time I put the thicker gauge strings on, that was no problem. But why won't my guitar let me replace the strings with the exact same brand and gauges without adjusting the claw?

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Are you sure it was set up properly after changing string gauge? That is so important.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@xdamnablex)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I originally had three springs and this time I ended up putting in two more springs. That fixed the problem quick! Finger strength is another problem now...another story.

What all goes into setting up the floyd bridge besides adjusting the spring claw and tuning the strings until the tension between the springs and the strings is equal and the floyd floats.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Sounds like you may have to many spring on it and the bridge isn't in it's neutral or floating position. You may have put the extra springs on and now it pulling the bridge back but it's not in it proper position. I would loosen the strings some, remove springs until you have three (maybe four springs on it. Tune it just a little low (maybe a 1/2 step). then adjust the spring claw and tune it again. Check to see how it looks and the action. If it's still high, loosen the strings a little turn the spring claw screws in a turn or so. then re-tune.

Recheck everything, if it's still not right loosen the strings a little and tighten the spring claw another turn or so, then tune the guitar again. Check everything. The process can take a while until you find the right position for the bridge and the action is were you want it. Sometimes it can take quite a few go-around to get it right. So be patience you get get it.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@xdamnablex)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I loosened the strings and tightened the claw but that made the problem worse. That's why i went ahead and put the springs on.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Just for possible future reference, the way I used to handle this was that I'd replace only one string at a time, and before I put on the next one I would fully tune and stretch the first one. This seemed to minimize or eliminate any problems with the trem height, as the unit wasn't experiencing major shifts of tension.

I'm also going to recommend you actually take your guitar in to a professional to have the trem re-set up, and watch very carefully as they change things. You can learn it all by educated trial and error, but 10 minutes of observing a master will do wonders for your knowledge, especially since you now know exactly what you're looking for.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

What I've seen happen when folks have put to many springs on is it pulls the bridge all the way back, then they compensate by screwing the claw out. This will work but then you'll loose the ability of the system to float. All the springs will be coiled up tight. Which will also add extra strain on the guitar when you go to use the tremolo system. If you happen to notice creaking sound coming from were the neck joins the body then you have to much tension going on.

Joe

ReplyQuote