Clear all

Floyd Rose won't stay in tune

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jasonbecker550rg)
Topic starter  

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

So, i have a custom Charvel strat with an original floyd rose (schaller, not licensed), it sounds awesome but i cannot get the thing to stay in tune. I have tried blocking the trem and it still doesn't stay in tune for long. The guitar tends to drop pitch about a 1/4 step, and it usually drops evenly across all the strings. But there have been times where there will only be a few strings that drop. I have not had any trouble with my other floyd equipped guitars, and i know how to set them up, thats why this one is so frustrating. The nut clamp isn't bolted through the neck, its attached with screws at the top of the neck. I was thinking maybe the clamp is moving cause its not secured well enough. The trem seems to be in good shape, so maybe the posts are bad? The springs are still tight. Idk, anything would help.

(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member

does it have string locks at the nut?

bassist for the crux
Randall RB-125-115 120 watt 15" eminence spk.
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

ReplyQuote
(@jasonbecker550rg)
Topic starter  

Ya it does have string clamps at the nut.

ReplyQuote
(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member

okay. the way you set up a floyd rose (so long as it isnt a cheapo wanna be one, in which case you may want a tremolo return bar), you want to tune your strings up to tension with the nuts loose. then tighten them to finger tight, take your allen wrench and do about an 1/8th of a turn or a little bit more so that it is snug but not crushing the wrap to the core. do a nose dive with the strings vibarting and make it go the other way. retune, repeat till it holds true. make sure to do this in the average temperature that you will be playing in otherwise the temp change will render your guitar useless on gig day due to tension changes.

bassist for the crux
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

ReplyQuote
(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member

also, if at all possible, do take care to only have to tune UP, if you end up sharp it may never stay in tune.

bassist for the crux
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

ReplyQuote
(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member

if all that fails you may want to replace your springs in your trem system. they may be stretched, it even happens sometimes at the factory. just standard strat ones will do. sometimes you can even get away with find similar springs at the hardware store as long as they arent too stiff. i'd also lubricate a lot of the stuff with penetrating oils or graphite (depends on how patient you are with yourself).

bassist for the crux
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

ReplyQuote
(@andrei)

Did u manage to fix the problem?

I have the exact same problem with a Charvel SoCal...

Thanks

ReplyQuote