Clear all

Fret Guards?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kortnee)
Topic starter  

Hello!

I have an acoustic guitar I bought for pretty cheap (like $85) when I was 12. It's always been hard to play, when you press down on the strings you have to use a lot of force, more than normal. My friend told me once I needed "fret guards." Lately I've been playing more and more, and it's hard to play like that. Do I need to replace the strings or is there such a thing as "fret guards?"

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Cheap does not imply bad but it does sound like something is out of wack. Typically an acoustic is harder to press than an electric but not as hard as you indicate. Since you bought this when you were 12 and I don't know how long ago that was but asked if you should change the strings I suggest you start there. Could be it is taking more tension to get the right tone and pulling the neck up a little. If it does not get better take it to a shop and get it checked out since in may simply need to have a few adjustments for the neck and action.

I am not familiar with fret guards.....

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Fret guards hmm.... Such a product does not exist. Your friend must have dreamt it. I'd take it in to a shop. Most likely it just needs a setup. Lowered action, probably, and maybe a truss rod adjustment. If the frets are uneven, you won't be able to get the action low without buzzing, but see about that after you have it set up and change the strings.

ReplyQuote
(@matthew)
Trusted Member

I have a really old el'cheapo acoustic too. If it's anything like mine, it's because your neck is leaning way in raising your action reall high (distance from fret board to strings). This makes it harder to play. When I started getting lessons my teacher cranked the neck down (there's an adjustment on mine) and lowed the strings A LOT, and it's now WAY easier to play.

This is just a guess of course. =)

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

ReplyQuote