Notifications
Clear all

Wiping Down Guitar

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@lax34)
Topic starter  

I have a Hoppes No. 9 silicone cloth that i use to wipe down my hunting rifle. It is clean withe no grease or anything. Would it be okay to use it on my guitar?

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I don't see why not.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I use a clean dry microfibre cloth.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Years ago I heard that someone used cotton baby diapers (some guy who repaired guitars I think), and to me it made sense because, well, diapers are supposed to be soft and delicate. I went right down the JC Penny's to buy a diaper and found I could only buy like a 24 pack or something. Fine. I got the pack home and found out to my surprise (being an unmarried 17 or 18 year old then), that diapers are HUGE! I got scissors and cut the thing up into manageable squares -- maybe 6x6 -- but that still left me with a stack of them!

Plus the rest of the 23 unused diapers.

I think I still have like 22 left back home somewhere. I never did get through the whole pack.

That was like 25 years ago.

Now I just cut up cotton t-shirts and have one piece for just string cleaning using the Dunlop string cleaner, one for wiping off grime and sweat and a pair for using spray-on polish and then buffing.

ReplyQuote
(@wrath_within)

I have a Hoppes No. 9 silicone cloth that i use to wipe down my hunting rifle. It is clean withe no grease or anything. Would it be okay to use it on my guitar?

I once saw a polishing product for guitars that claimed silicone would be harmful for a guitar's body. Supposedly it makes it harder to add adjustments to your guitar, when you have to take it into a repair shop, the glue they use might not work too well because of the layer of silicon used from some guitar polishers.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

It might make their glue adhere to the finish more poorly, but I can't think why you'd have anything glued to the finished parts.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Paul is correct. Read this product description:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accessories/Guitar_polish%2C_polishing_cloth/Preservation_Polish.html

Silicone makes repairs difficult.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote