Clear all

fret wire noise (e.g., with vibrato) on new acoustic: remedy

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@deantaylor)
Topic starter  

hello

I've recently purchased an Epiphone acoustic. Please tell me how I might eliminate--for want of a better term--a "scratchy" sound when using the vibrato technique (rapidly moving the string across the fret. Would the frets needs filing, or might sanding suffice? It is not an expensive guitar.

Thank you

Dean

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

That's a little bit of a tough question, as I can see the problem happening two ways, and then various solutions. I would know if I had the guitar right here, can tell right away. :shock:

There's not a lot of crown to any acoustic guitar, frets are not jumbo and the fingerboards are mostly flat, or near-flat, like a shredder electric guitar. Radius is 10.5 to 12.5" I would assume, without looking. But they have high action, beginning with the saddle, and it usually continues to give a fair amount of clearance all the way to the nut. So, it would be unusual to have a string on fret collision near to where you are fretting or using the vibrato technique.

It is more common to have a collision occurring up towards the 12th fret, and even more common at the 14th fret or higher, where the neck joins the body. There can be a hump there. Accordingly, you might take to a guitar tech to either diagnose or confirm, before you start filing frets.

There is always a chance that more truss rod relief (loosing) would correct the problem, or an under-the-saddle shim, or a new saddle altogether, which may be higher if the old one has been filed or is worn down.

I just re-read my response, and forgot to mention that you should change strings first, as coated strings such as phosphor bronze sometimes get a grip on frets and make more noise than smoother bronze (D'Addario/Gibson/Martin) or slippery Elixir Nanowebs. You can also feel resistance with the pick on rough, abrasive coated strings.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote