Kent X-Series guitar maintenance

16 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@legendaryk4)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello,

My VERY first guitar was given to me about 8 years ago. It was a Kent X-Series guitar. I am now trying to restore it. I dont care about original parts I just want to get it into a working state. I dont know really anything about fixing guitars but I am mechanically inclined and my father is very experienced with electronics. I took some pictures which I will post to show you it. I dont completely know whats wrong. I do know the input on the guitar is shot but I dont know what to buy or even search for. I would like to buy a cheap pair of pick ups. I dont know what type of pick ups it has or the bridge except it has the letters KMD on the bridge. The wiring under the hood seems kind of weird. If I need to I would replace all of the electronics in it except I dont know what any of the stuff is or called. There is also a random white wire not connected to anything under the panel containing the wires.

I apologize if I am asking for alot but I would really like to do it myself. If anyone can recommend a website or something that explains the mechanics of an electric guitar would be great. Or even if you could make a list of everything I am going to need :).

Sorry I would post the photos but it is saying "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image."

Thank You,
Legendaryk4

/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Let me ask you this first .... do you have a sentimental attachment to this guitar? I ask because restoring it will likely cost more than it is worth. It can be done but IMO you need to replace just about everything that is not made of wood. The tuners look to be very cheap, I would bet they do not work well. It has some kind of locking bridge yet no locking nut. You can get a set of bargain pickups from Guitar Fetish for around $50. The tuners might cost you $40 and the electronics another $25, but I can't tell the shape or quality of the neck from a picture and that can be crucial. I can steer you in the right direction if you really want to take this on though.

For about the same money and no work you could get this ... just an example.
http://www.rondomusic.com/halobk.html

This guitar has better tuners than your Kent and would be brand new and in working order.

If you do wish to fix it though, I shop at http://www.guitarfetish.com for my parts. I would recomend new tuning keys (need to measure the holes for the right size) , new volume and tone pots ( audio taper 500k) a new 1/4" jack, a new togle switch and a pair of humbucking pickups. That bridge is hopefully in working order because a replacement would be hard to find. A standard trem might work but I can't tell from pictures. You would need dimensions. Again, you are getting into money. Another suggestion is to only fix what is broken. This would be more economical as well. Wiring diagrams can be found at the Seymour Duncan web site. Their pickups are high end and not cheap but you can use their wiring schematics for free. 8) This is the one I believe you have. http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w

Try fixing the wiring and see what you get. Everything may still work. You also need a setup. Like this. http://www.wizardsofaz.com/guitars/images/Guitar_Setup.pdf

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@legendaryk4)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Actually you hit it right on the noise... I have a nice guitar that I use I just wanted to get this one to work. I do have some what of a sentimental value towards it. The tuners I know do work properly and im pretty sure the bridge does. If I had to narrow it down I would def say its the pickups and all the wiring which looks faulty.

I thank you for everything you just posted... I think now we will be able to fix this thing.

Thank You,
Legendaryk4

ReplyQuote
(@legendaryk4)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

What kind of output jack do I need mono or stereo? So for a small list I need basically...

500k volume and tone control
3 way switcher
1/4 output jack
Ceramic Disk Tone Cap
And maybe some pickups depends if mine work or not.

Only other question I guess is wires. Are there any special types or size that I need?

ReplyQuote
(@legendaryk4)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Sorry about all the replies... I cant seem to find a 3 way switch that even looks like mine.... Do u see one on the guitar fetish site?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

This switch looks different but is the same style. Yours will click into place, this one has a bouncier feel and what I prefer by the way. It is known as a "switchcraft" style. (As is the jack you need)
http://www.guitarfetish.com/USA-Style-Les-Paul-Toggle-Switch-Chrome_p_778.html
Yours is a sealed switch, this one is old school and preferred by many.

The jack will be mono and one like this should work.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Switchcraft-Style-14-Mono-Jack_p_723.html

As far as wire goes the pickups come with wires and for the rest I usually reuse the ones in the guitar but I'm sure Guitar Fetish sells wire. IC, looks like they sell it in bulk. http://www.guitarfetish.com/Guitar-Hook-Up-Wire-24-gauge-Stranded-USA-Made-100ft-spools_p_409.html

ReplyQuote
(@legendaryk4)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks man i appreciate it... last question I hope but for the tone caps.... mine is .047uf but the only ones like that on guitar fetish say they are for strat/tele single coil pickups... can i still use it?

http://www.guitarfetish.com/047uf-Sprague-Orange-Drop-Cap-for-StratTele_p_1157.html

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Probably would work fine, it's more to fit the tone of the guitar and pickups. I see the Les Paul ones are out of stock. I didn't do the math but how would this work out? It would be an extra tone and volume but I'm not sure the cost difference?
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Complete-Les-Paul-Upgrade-Electrical-Component-Kit_p_179.html

Now the replacement pots are full sized instead of the mini ones in your guitar now but it looks like you room in your cavity to hold them. Alot of low end guitars have those tiny pots.

ReplyQuote
(@legendaryk4)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Honestly its like 60 cents cheaper but it does come with an extra on each. Only reason why I wouldnt do that is cus they sell a output that comes with a square curved plate like the one I have now.

Ty for all the info man.... I stripped out all the stuff yesterday and started to strip the paint off with a heatgun.... ill post some pics when it gets further along.

Thank You,
Legendaryk4

ReplyQuote
(@legendaryk4)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Just finished stripping it. Got to close with the heat gun in the corner... oops!

/

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

That is nice wood, and a good clean job stripping it.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@legendaryk4)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanx man.... I am not to familiar with how wood is supposed to look like on a guitar but this isnt solid wood. You can see from the side there is layers so safe to say its plywood.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Still looks nice. Keep us updated! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@legendaryk4)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanx... will do. I need to bondo a few places on it then ill prime it up.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Thanx... will do. I need to bondo a few places on it then ill prime it up.

Yes, it is really nice! :D

Now that you mention using bondo, well, sure you could put some filler in the open grain where the plywoods are laminated, and then it should take primer and paint better. You know that, but we can still talk about it, and share with the forum. :wink:

Oh, and it is interesting - I think I am familiar with the construction and origin of that guitar. Around 20 years ago, I had two old Harmony Strats, which were already 20 years old. They were almost the same as Silvertone, and also a lot like Kent, except Kent was sold here by Eaton's, since around 1965 and I noodled with them before I could play - I guess I was a Ukeleleist!!! :lol:

Anyway, I love that headstock. I always thought it was a cute little songbird, but now I see from your pics that it could just be a geometric design, to avoid copying Fenders, and Gibsons too? Also, I have a Harmony bass, and might as well keep it forever, since it has little value other than utility - it will always play excellently, so it is more than a conversational item.

Now, I've found an old pic, of the Bass, that is - I don't have any digitals of those former guitars. I won't infringe on your topic, so will keep it in context showing the similar headstock. It came out of either the Samick or Cort factories, since Harmony (exc. rare US) and Kent don't make their own, and neither does Washburn overseas, Epiphone and many others - all brothers and sisters! For sure, your preservation of this guitar is justified. They can make nice playing, and very practical instruments. Mine below, is Badass (the bridge ha ha :oops: ) big and butterscotch-y. It's a keeper too, so all the best!

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2