9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I think it's grime, anyway...

It's an El Degas '51 P-Bass copy, and it's hollow. The previous owner stripped it, filed the frets down to the tangs, then apparently played it unfinished, or left it someplace dirty.

Note how dark the grain is around the edge....

Fingerboard is much the same. Reranch.com recommends naphtha & sanding. But if sweat & oil & grime have penetrated the wood, will finish ever stick properly?

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

How about the stuff they sell to clean wooden decks before staining. They are specifically made to clean the wood of stains, grime etc.

I would think it might work for this too.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

How about the stuff they sell to clean wooden decks before staining. They are specifically made to clean the wood of stains, grime etc.

I would think it might work for this too.

Ya, Ive seen that... it bleaches it. Might not be grime so much.... but just the wood weathering. WHat are your plans for it? Frankly I think refinished old weatherd wood can look pretty awesome.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

WHat are your plans for it?

I plan to play it! I hope the combination of single-coil '51 neck pickup, hollow body with no F-holes & fretless maple board will combine well, like a well-amplified standup bass.
Frankly I think refinished old weatherd wood can look pretty awesome.

So do I. Cosmetics mostly don't bother me, but I would like to give refinishing w/lacquer a shot if it's possible.

Deck cleaner... interesting idea, Cnev, thanks!

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I did some checking and most are just weak bleach solutions which obviously bleach the wood and supposedly dry it they don't recommend those and I think it wouldn't be a good idea for a guitar but they did say look for sodium perchlorate ones they are gentler.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Found an old thread that suggests shellac can adhere to & isolate contaminants like silicone & works as a good base coat for lacquer. So we'll probably go naphtha, then sanding, & if it still is grimy seal it up with shellac, then fill & final prep for primer & lacquer. Or just clear-coat the shellac & let the weathered wood tell its story... the body was a pretty light-yellow color before... but the instrument's resale value will be nil, no matter what I do, so I might as well do what I like! 8)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Crow, probably I'm late. Perhaps you are referring to posts by 'Slejhamer'. Mitch restored a bass. Fortunately for us, he wrote a couple of lessons in the main site:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/diy-low-budget-bass-makeover/
https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/diy-low-budget-bass-makeover-part-2/

Hope it helps!

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Nuno, that link is great.

I just filled the fret slots with Elmer's Wood Repair epoxy, a good product which I don't think they make any more. It's the only wood filler I've ever used that works. Had to pull the tangs out first, with a dental scraper & a tiny awl, then cleaned slots with a hacksaw blade, as Mitch did. Tomorrow we'll see what naphtha does to the crud on the body. Fun!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Great! Keep us informed! :)

ReplyQuote