Clear all

Noisey Trem System

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I have three guitars that have the standard Stratocaster trem system. This is the one that has a thick steel plate holding the strings on and is held in place ( or position ) and providing the tension needed for trem operations. I have some noise coming through on one of them I don't really care for. It's almost like the springs are rattling. The overtones on this guitar are pretty bad.

I have slide or forces some napkins or something down the center of the springs and that did help a bit. I think I've heard of folks spraying some sort of varnish or something to assist in the metal touching metal scenario. Amost like a plastic coat of sorts.

Anyhow, what have you seen or tried and liked?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Have you checked the saddles? Is one of them so far forward that the retaining spring (around the screw that holds the saddle to the bridge) is loose? Other than that there's nothing on the saddle to rattle - the screws are under compression fron the saddle.

Is it possible that the resonator block has come loose? Under the saddles, there are 3 screws that hold the block in place. Are any of them loose?

Round the back, I wold not expect to find anything that rattles - the springs and strings put everything under tension.

Have you looked under the scratchplate? Later models of Strat had silicone tube on the pickup screws to hold tension (rather than the earlier springs). This tube rots, eventually. Could one of the pickups be rattling?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the suggestions for things to look at. I never considered that the spring noise might be caused by another component. This gives me a nice list of things to look at.

Just to be clear, it is definately the tensions springs that are the source of the noise. You can even lightly flick them with your fingernail and get the same noise, albeit louder. Whether this was the cause of the noise was something I was assuming until now.

I also mis-spoke in my first post. I had meant to type "Strat-like" or 'Strat-type" trem, not an actual Strat trem. My apoligies. In the case of my most noisey of the three, it's actually a PRS SE.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Sometimes, and always in the case of SRV's Strat Tech, a little grease (such as white or lithium, non-smelly) will help if the trem is basically okay without major troubles. You put it inbetween the eye of the springs and the hooks of the trem claw, and at the springs' fingers where they go into the sustain block holes.

If that doesn't correct it, then it is most often (but not always - see Greybeard's suggestions) a problem with the claw giving too low of an angle, and the springs either catch on the claw and rub while there is tremolo action, or they actually scrape on the wood at the bottom of the trem cavity. That's what has happened to me in my many years with Strats. I take the claw out and bend the angle between the body or the claw and the base where the two screw holes are. So if it starts at 90 degrees, which is the most that is acceptable (per me), then try 80 degress for instance, and see what you get. It works for me, and all of my trems work (exc "Blackie") and I have never needed any exotic aftermarket tremolo or bridge in spite of their allure. :wink:

A pretty decent example, and is not intended to show that I often prefer 5 springs and adjust the lower side of the claw slightly inward more, due to less tension of first 3 sTrings (other side of guitar). Exact details and reasoning gets complicated, and this is not the time - will keep it simple for you to solve your problem per the answers given or others in the future. Luck!

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote