Clear all

grrrrrr stoopid G string....

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@drent)
Topic starter  

Hi,
I'm sure its something I'm doing wrong but I just cannot restring the G string on my acoustic at the moment. I've never had a problem restringing any string on my guitar but now I've just busted 3 G strings and no others. Its also the one string I've always had the most trouble with in terms of staying in tune. I was wondering if this could be a machine head fault or something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as its rather annoying having a five string guitar :(

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Where is it breaking and when.

If it is breaking at the bridge while playing it could be a burr on the saddle.

Or you are just over tightening it and going past pitch.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

where is the string breaking? Is it the same spot each time? That might indicate a rough edge/burr on the bridge or nut or saddle.

If you are having problems staying in tune maybe the slot at the nut needs to be opened up just a bit. Does it 'ping, ping, ping' when you tune the string? That would indicate that the string is getting caught up in the slot. I wouldn't open the slot myself, get a good tech to do it if your not sure.

But if it is breaking in the same place each time, that would be a sure indication of a problem in that spot.

I'm sure others with more experience will give you more & better suggestions.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@drent)
Topic starter  

Uhhhh its breaking at the machineyheadthing everytime /edit whilst actually restringing and tuning /edit but since none of the other strings have broken i dont think its caused by over tightening. I was thinking that the actual nut thing could be too lose from when I last unstrung my guitar :? uuu, but yeah like i said i know that its in tune at the right octave but it snaps whilst fine tuning it :?

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

If it is a regular acoustic set with a wound G string I can not imagine those snapping too easily. Takes me a nice steady snip with clippers to trim them. There must be a burr or very sharp edge somewhere on the peg that you should be able to feel with your finger.

Are your windings neat or all balled up. (Just grasping at straws here)

Michael

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Since it is breaking at the tuner I think it is down to 3 possibilities.

1) That you are over tightening the string but it seems you have ruled that out. It's possible that the tuner is off but the only way to tell for sure is tune the G string with the 5th fret of the D string or try another tuner.

2) That there is a burr on the machine head so check that out with your fingers and clean it off with sand paper if it is.

3) That the string is binding in the nut when it is at full tension. Either lube the nut slot or clean it out. One way to clean it out is with a piece of the next string up. In this case the D string

EDIT: make sure the strings are winding smoothly down the post and not overlapping at all.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Oooopss, forgot about lubing the nut. Nils is right.

After cleaning the slot use graphite to lube the slot. Pencil lead or a tube of stuff that is supposed to keep lock cylinders from binding (available at any hardware store).

Might as well do all the slots while your at it.

If you are using graphite in a tube be careful as the fine powder tends to get everywhere. You don't need a lot of it.

Best of luck,
Michael

ReplyQuote
(@drent)
Topic starter  

Thanks guys Ill try lubing the nut tomorrow :) also yes sorry i missed that reply it does go ping occasionally when I'm tuning it so that could be a possible solution :) thanks :)

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

I feel ya buddy...I hate the G string...guitar string that is...it just never gets in tune properly! Is this because of the string probably being old and abit worn or what?

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member

i have the same problem...its a pain to tune it, and then keep it in tune...and this is with using an electronic tuner. It does go "ping ping" when i tune from time to time... ill try opening the slot some next time.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Read up on the thread. Try the lubrication first. Do the simple things first.

Michael

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If its breaking at the tuner ("machineyheadthingy"). Are you winding the string around the tuner three times before you go through the hole? I've seen times when folks run the string through the hole and do a loop around the string, then when they go to tune the string it creates a sharp angle and weakens the string at that point. I believe the others have covered everything else.

hope it helps

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member

Hey Joe thats a real interesting technique..How long have you been doing that and wat led you to start that way? I always hear people do the loop to lock the string.

ReplyQuote