Clear all

Guitar Decals?

35 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
14.8 K Views
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Well, I did remove my decal and I don't regret either applying or removing it ........ so I decided to see what I could find on the web.

Hmmmmm ............................

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It's your guitar, do what you will.

Never had any regrets about this one:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Not mine. They get to make good music.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

gnease. that is a fine looking guitar. looks mean...in a good way.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I think water slide decals are fine for guitars. they are removable and probably will not harm the finish.
vinyl sticky back decals, ie, bumper stickers, will harm finishes. as the adhesive dries out they out gas ..that is a real term.
the out gassing is acidic and agressive. nitro finishes will be destroyed. not sure about the new polyester.

if it is your guitar you have the right to do anything you want.
wether it is moral or not is for the purists to argue.

what I find interesting...the guitar has such a small surface area yet they are able to take on tons of decoration and still look normal. I enjoy the old timey players on the country swing barn hay bale shows. they all had their names emblazoned on the neck or guitar body.
it looked great with the decorated suits they wore.

I see a similarity with the punk genre. stickered guitars and anarchy signs on torn jeans etc.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I like stickers. They can be entertaining. I'm strange though. I don't put them on anything. Not just guitars, but everything. Cube was is bare at work, motorcycle helmets are plain, no bumper stickers on anything...... ho-hum.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Poor guitars :(
Are you refering to the pics I posted? If so ... can you name the owners of each decalled guitar? Look at the tall skinny guy with the Mighty Mouse deacal on his Les Paul. He is in front of a wall of stuff he designed andd built. 8) Look at that poor SG ...... poor slob that owned that :P I'm sure you recognize SRV ... but what about the Les Paul with the girlie stickers?

ReplyQuote
(@mikethaninefive)
Eminent Member

I don't generally like decals, but I've been desperately searching for a Mick Mars "Girls Girls Girls" decal for my black Strat. I know he played a Kramer Tele, but I'd love to see the look on my father in laws face when he saw that! ;) He's a huge Motley Crue fan.

Sorry about my writing skills, but my grammar sick.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

My stratocopy came with a mickey mouse and a rabbit pulling itself out of a hat on it. Small, nothing obtrusive. (Mouse just below the cutaway, rabbit on the back.)

I wouldn't have put them there, maybe, but I haven't taken them off, either. They suit the finish, and add a little "character " to an already fairly funky lookin guitar.

Of course, I pretty much beat the heck out of everything I own. The guitar looks cool, worth nothing. If it had resale value, I'd be more hesitant about anything sticking to it, but it's for me to play- If I want to invest, I'll buy land.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Poor guitars :(
Are you refering to the pics I posted? If so ... can you name the owners of each decalled guitar? Look at the tall skinny guy with the Mighty Mouse deacal on his Les Paul. He is in front of a wall of stuff he designed andd built. 8) Look at that poor SG ...... poor slob that owned that :P I'm sure you recognize SRV ... but what about the Les Paul with the girlie stickers?Stevy Ray Vuan or how ever you pronounce his name.

And the other one I have no clue mate,

By the way the SG made famous by Angus Young :P

And I meant poor guitars because they were defaced with decals.

By the way I didn't mean any disrespect mate.

OK ... that SG was making famous music when Angus Young was wearing that school boy outfit the first time around for real. :lol: That SG was used to invent heavy metal as it was used on .... Iron Man among other songs since it belongs to Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath.

The girly sticker Les Paul belongs to Steve Jones ...... ever heard of the Sex Pistols?

The Mighty Mouse Les Paul belongs to the guy in the pic, the one who designed all the RockMan equipment behind him. He is also the mastermind and guitarist in a band known as Boston. His name is Tom Sholz.

Has nothing to do with putting a sticker on your guitar but I thought is would be fun. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I don't know anything about Tony Iommi "I guess I know more about Old music then modern music but It's all good.

Maybe, maybe not. Iron Man is a pretty "old" 1970 rock tune by Black Sabbath. Tony's been around a long time. ... unless by old music you are talking about Bach, Mozart ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I don't know anything about Tony Iommi "I guess I know more about Old music then modern music but It's all good.

Maybe, maybe not. Iron Man is a pretty "old" 1970 rock tune by Black Sabbath. Tony's been around a long time. ... unless by old music you are talking about Bach, Mozart ...

I mean more like Robert Jonshon, Fred McDowell and many others.

but I can play Ironman lol.

(fixed the quoting -- getting a bit messed up)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

OK ... that SG was making famous music when Angus Young was wearing that school boy outfit the first time around for real. :lol: That SG was used to invent heavy metal as it was used on .... Iron Man among other songs since it belongs to Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath.

The girly sticker Les Paul belongs to Steve Jones ...... ever heard of the Sex Pistols?

The Mighty Mouse Les Paul belongs to the guy in the pic, the one who designed all the RockMan equipment behind him. He is also the mastermind and guitarist in a band known as Boston. His name is Tom Sholz.

Has nothing to do with putting a sticker on your guitar but I thought is would be fun. :wink:

Well, it kind of does. They all have enough bucks that they don't care if putting a sticker on the guitar (particularly a vintage guitar) would drop the value. Average schmoes have to worry about that unless they plan to keep the guitar for life and might never want to change. There is some point (different for all of us) where we wouldn't mind if it lost some value.

In fact, for those you've shown the fact that they've owned it and put a sticker on it may actually raise the value. Nobody's going to pay more for a '59 Les Paul sunburst that I put a "Nuke the Gay Baby Whales for Jesus" sticker on. Probably drop the value a whole lot and even if I could get it off it would have damaged the surface and reduced the value. Now if it was Ted Nugent's guitar with that sticker there are people who would pay more than a "regular" '59 LP.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

where can i get one of those "Nuke the Gay Baby Whales for Jesus" stickers?
i've totally changed my mind about all this.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

where can i get one of those "Nuke the Gay Baby Whales for Jesus" stickers?
i've totally changed my mind about all this.

I haven't seen one since the early 80's. A buddy of mine's older brother had one on his car. They might still be out there - hopefully not on any '59 Les Paul sunbursts. :shock:

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3