Skip to content
Guitar makes poppin...

Notifications
Clear all

Guitar makes popping noise when chord is moved.

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I took my Yamaha Apex 5N-A in a music store to have it checked out. The store I took it to doesn't really have a luthier,but a guy who comes in and does adjustments and set ups. I was told that my pickups were no good and that they needed replaced.I believe that a wire is loose,because if I'm still it works fine.I make take to a store that is a authorized Yamaha dealer for a second opinion.What would you think the problem could be? I really don't want to shell out $175 for another system.This one is has the original electronic hardware.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I would first of all try another lead/cable. If that didn't cure it, I'd look at the jack socket - loose connection, bent connector.

I find it difficult to believe the a broken wire in the pickup would cause you a problem when you moved. It is, of course, possible, but there are other things that are far more likely to be the culprit.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I agree with greybeard.

Try this, put the guitar down on a fairly solid surface, and while the guitar is still, gently shake the cable at either end and see if you can make the noise. If you can, reverse the cable and see if the noise travels to the other end of the cable.

That will either implicate or eliminate the cable.

If the problem stays on the guitar side, I would look at the jack first. The jack gets a lot of wear and sometimes the contacts get weak after being plugged/unplugged zillions of times. It might just take a little gentle bending to get them to "hug" the plug better, or if that doesn't work, replace it with a Switchcraft jack (they are the best I've used).

Good luck,
Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

and what type of guitar is this Yammy? electric? electric-acoustic? (websearches give me motorcycle links.) if it's E-A, could be the jack switch is not reliable. in any case, very unlikely to be pups.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I think he refers to Yamaha APX5NA.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

so that guitar does have an integrated switch + jack. if the cable (lead) is not the culprit, checking that jack is next.

shot in the dark (unlikely):

another thing about these jack/switches. if your cable happens to be an old style, bare brass connector type (e.g., old Whirlwind or Lawrence). the switching will be intermittent if the brass is not shiny clean. causes nasty popping. should only use leads with nickel-plated (silvery-like, most common) or gold-plated connectors (overpriced!) connectors with your guitar.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote