Notifications
Clear all

Guitar re-spray

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@pau1777)
Topic starter  

A few weeks ago I decided that my guitar (80's charvel model 5 thru neck) needed a bit of TLC so I decided that I would give it a new paint job!
I looked at all the information on the internet and gave it a go.
I used Auto paint and lacquer. My problem is I did this about 4 weeks ago and the lacquer still appears to be "soft"
What I mean is the lacquer has dried but whenever I put my guitar into its case or on any surface the lacquer gets an imprint of the surface!
Is there anything I can use to make the lacquer "harder" or have I done something wrong?
Thanks for any help.
Paul

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

It sounds like you may have put lacquer over another type of paint without sanding or more importantly priming it. The chemical reaction is causing it to not fully cure. You may need to sand it down or strip it to the original finish.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@pau1777)
Topic starter  

I did sand it down before I started, although there was some of the original paint still left on the body.
I put primer on first (again auto paint) before I put the paint on then I put on the lacquer on to finish it off.
Would this cause such a reaction?
Thanks again

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

It could. Removing all of the original finish would be ideal but the primer should have sealed it. It could be the reaction between the primer and the original. I can only guess without touching it. Before you strip it you could try sanding it lightly and putting a clear coat on it and see if it cures.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

Was it auto touch up paint or the type that needs to be baked to cure?

BS

ReplyQuote
(@pau1777)
Topic starter  

Was it auto touch up paint or the type that needs to be baked to cure?

BS

It was (I think) Touch up paint. A normal can of spray paint that you buy from any auto store.
I suppose I will just have to live with it! I dont want to be without my guitar for another 4 weeks if I wanted to respray again.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It's possible that you didn't let the paint dry sufficiently, before putting on the lacquer. You can perhaps help the situation along with a hair dryer - not too hot but nice and warm.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote