Notifications
Clear all

guitar repair luthiers

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@alangreen)
Topic starter  

Skill, expertise, a willingness to listen and learn, starting at the bottom on rubbish money, and eventually - if you're really lucky AND good enough - Fender might look at your resume and not chuck it straight in the bin

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

What does it take to be a guitar Luther?

An understanding of the materials, tools, and techniques used to build and repair guitars... and a lot of practice at it.
What does a electric guitar luther have to know or do ? Pretty much everything an acoustic luthier does (because not all electric guitars are solid!), plus a good understanding of electronics, and the techniques used for wiring, soldering, shielding, etc.
How do i learn to be a fender custom shop electric guitar Luther?Manufacturers tend to hire either total beginners (for beginner wages, of course), who spend a few years sweeping the floor, sharpening tools, etc., and grow them into technical staff... or they hire people who already have good reputations for design. So you either start at Fender, or you become very good somewhere else first.
what would i need to know or do please?
You'd need to live in the area - their custom shop is in Corona CA. If you're pursuing the "I'll take any job to get my foot in the door" approach, drop by the factory and fill out an application. Follow up with them regularly. People setting out to get a specific job with a specific company - in any field - need a bit of luck... but luck is simply opportunity meeting preparation. You can't make the opportunity, but you can position yourself for it - get to know people who work there, so you hear about openings first.

Or, if you want to trust to luck completely... there will be job openings where they have no interested candidates in hand. They put those on Monster - the link will take you to their current positions. As of today, none of them have anything to do with manufacturing, and none are in Corona... but that could be different tomorrow.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

You go to a school of Lutherie or get hired as an apprentice in a factory or custom shop.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Marwah

Guitar paint is mixed in a very elaborate device called an EggoIsoTron. The paint is first superheated to over 3000 degrees using special charcoal, not unlike that used to manufacture beer. The paint is literally vaporized and very dangerous. Luthiers have been known to hallucinate during this process. So, this is not a job for the feeble-hearted.

Then this superheated paint is cooled very quickly using liquid hydrogen into a rock hard solid. A laser beam is used to cut very thin slices, less than .000000017" from this solid block. The Luthier then glues this paint to the surface of the wood.

There is much more to this process, but this will give you an idea.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

...The paint is literally vaporized and very dangerous. Luthiers have been known to hallucinate during this process. So, this is not a job for the feeble-hearted.

And it makes 'em go BALD too... :shock: :shock:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dagwood

I did not mention that because I didn't want to discourage Marwah from becoming a Luthier.

Here is a photo of Luthiers removing the ultra thin .000000017" layer of paint from the solid frozen block to apply to the guitar.

This looks like Alpine White to me. The guy wearing the hat probably went bald from the process. The other fellow can't be far behind.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

How do i get to be a apprentice in a factory or custom shop?

You submit an application, just like for any job. Then if they think you have promise based on your application, you'll get an interview. Then if you're one of the brightest people with the most promise according to the interviewer you'll get hired.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Marwah

There are a couple of important questions to ask you if you are sincerely interested in becoming a Luthier for Fender. You will be asked these questions by Fender, so it is important to know the answers.

Why is Fender located in Corona and not Old Milwaukee??

Can you differentiate a worker, soldier, and swarmer Reticulitermes flavipes (eastern subterranean termite)?

Do you enjoy the taste of terpentine?

What does "EMG" stand for in EMG81 pickups?

Which way do you turn a truss rod to tighten it?

Why does Fender employ only left-handed Luthiers to manufacture lefty guitars?

How thin is the paint cut by lasers on the EggoIsoTron?

Where did the phrase "don't fret" originate?

Which is the correct spelling, A or B?

a) Squier

b) Squire

What does MIM stand for?

What does MIJ stand for?

What does MIA stand for?

Does the Twin Reverb really have two identical reverbs?

Why do Luthiers say, "I'll break your neck" so often?

This is just a sample of some of the difficult questions you will be expected to know.

Then there is the physical. :shock:

ReplyQuote