Clear all

Harmony Bobkat Bridge Replacement

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jonathang)
Topic starter  

Hello. New to the forum and all
You guys were the number 1 search on google for a Repair Forum (yeah!)
anyway
I got a near mint Harmony Bobkat. Full function pickups. Sound bloody amazing. Made in the USA (not that it's a thing with me...I prefer a Japanese made instrument for the most part)
It's a great instrument...very interesting neck profile. It could really be my main stage guitar.
There's a lovely performer named St. Vincent that uses one regularly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lan-UQfN0zs

theres a link
Let me get to the point now
that wooden bridge is crap. It kind of burns the tone right out of it.
I'd like to put an ABR Tunomatic on there or one of those arch top conversion bridges that got ah nice vintage slab ah wood on tha bottom, but a Tunomatic on the top.

This is the exact model
heres the pic

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

A couple of things come to mind, here.

Have you checked the string spread? It might not suit a tune-o-matic.

Tune-o-matic bridges don't sit on top of the body like the current one on your guitar (or so it appears from the pic). TOM's have posts screwed into the body. If you don't want to chop the guitar about a TOM is out of the question.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Tune-o-matic bridges don't sit on top of the body like the current one on your guitar (or so it appears from the pic). TOM's have posts screwed into the body. If you don't want to chop the guitar about a TOM is out of the question.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Archtop_guitar_bridges/Tune-o-matic_Bridge_For_Archtop_Guitar.html

Actually, you can get tune-o-matic bridges that float on top of the body. These are usually (always?) for archtop guitars though so the wood bottom is usually curved. You might be able to find one with a flat bottom or failing that take a curved bottom one and sand it flat.

As greybeard says though there is still the string spacing issue. Finally, if you are really going to drill the top to fit a bridge then you want to really consider using a drill press if at all possible.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@rhardy4)

Any Chance I Can Buy That BobKat Bridge Off Of You???

ReplyQuote