Clear all

hartke 3500

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Bobb
(@bobb)
Topic starter  

I have a hartke 3500 and a Sunn Coliseum slave, I have the effects loop from the Hartke ran out to the Sunn head. The Hartke is powering a Kustom 2x 12 cab with the Sunn powering a peavey 2x10. Ocationaly the Hartkey just drops off, It is still sending signal to the Sunn head and all the lights stay on. The amp doesn't feel hot and the fan in the back is working properly. The Kustom cab it is powering is wired at 4 ohms.

Does this sound like the head for sure? Or is their anything with the cab that could be causing it? When I say ocationaly We are looking at about once an hour or so during practice.

Thanks for the help.

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Does it come back on it's own, or do you have to do something to make it recover?

Does it just kinda fade away, or is it abrupt (any un-expected noise when it happens)?

Does it happen if you use only the Hartke? Or only the Sunn?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Perhaps the only problem I see is using the effects out to the sunn. According to the manual for the hartke says you can use the " Effect Send jack to route signal to an external mixing console or amplifier with an input sensitivity of +4 dB." What is the input of the sunn? What about using the direct out? You'll probably need to have a special cable made. The amp maybe sending a signal back into the loop jack. Might also check your speaker cables for shorts, maybe a wire inside the cabinet is loose. Check the jacks to see if they are making good connections.

From the Manual:

Effect Send jack - Use this 1/4” unbalanced jack to send low impedance(600 ohm) signal from the Model 3500 to a professional outboard effects processor such as a reverb, echo, chorus, flanger, or harmonizer device.* Output level is approximately 0 dB to +4 dB and is post-EQ and post-compression but unaffected by the setting of the Master Volume control. You can also use the Effect Send jack to route signal to an external mixing console or amplifier with an input sensitivity of +4 dB.

Direct Out jack - Use this electronically balanced XLR jack to route signal from the Model 3500 to a professional mixing console or as a tap to a main PA system via a mic input on the console. The signal output from this jack is low impedance (600 ohm) with an output level of approximately -30 to -20 dB. You can also use the Direct Out jack to route signal to an external amplifier with a -10 dB input sensitivity.

Some thoughts.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 Bobb
(@bobb)
Topic starter  

Kent, No noises or noticable fade out it, it Just drops. I fiddle with it a little, turn the EQ off or the power but it really seems to be time that is bringing it back on. I just had the tubes cleaned to get rid fix another problem if that matters.

Forrok, thanks for the info. I the imput on the Sunn head is 0 to 5db, I keep it around 2 so as not to destroy my band mates or the practice space.

ReplyQuote
 Bobb
(@bobb)
Topic starter  

also, I haven't used only the hertke in awhile. I will give that a try as well.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Kent, No noises or noticable fade out it, it Just drops. I fiddle with it a little, turn the EQ off or the power but it really seems to be time that is bringing it back on.

That sounds like a thermal thing, or some other intermittant.
That kind of trouble is always a pain in the donkey to find.

Best to test each part of your rig sepreate from the other parts, and try to isolate the problem.

As forrok_star said, it could be a bad cable as well.
Although if it "just goes silent" with no noise as it's going, then I'd guess a cable to be a bit less likely. At least a cable carrying low-level signal.
An intermittant speaker cable wouldn't be as noisy when it fails.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 Bobb
(@bobb)
Topic starter  

I was affraid of that. I think I may take it in to the shop as opposed to banging my head on the wall. Thanks for all the imput guys.

ReplyQuote