Notifications
Clear all

heat straightening a neck

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jacksonaxes)
Topic starter  

Does anyone know the procedure for, and equipment necessary for this,the trussrod is all the way loose, and I need to remove a little bit more bow.

(@toobmasta)
Eminent Member

i think you want to tighten the truss rod to lessen the bow.

ReplyQuote
(@jacksonaxes)
Topic starter  

No, it's got backbow.

ReplyQuote
(@toobmasta)
Eminent Member

Okay, in that case, you might want to string it with some 13s for a while, until you get more (forward) bow than you want. When you put normal strings back on and wait about a week or so for the neck to settle in, then tighten the truss rod a little at a time until you have the proper relief.

ReplyQuote
(@jacksonaxes)
Topic starter  

This is what I posted on the Jackson/Charvel forum, and what I have done to the guitar, but it still needs a little bit,I have power slinkys on it now, but would like to put thinner strings on it. "--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a model 5 for 100.00 at the pawnshop, got is so cheap because it had a little backbow in the neck,( ok it had alot of backbow) I haggled with them telling them it might not adjust out, I got home, and sure enough it did'nt, I brought it to the tech at Bizzare guitar here in reno, he said he could try it in his hot neckpress overnight, the next day I went back, he strung it up with 10's, and it still was'nt completly straight I took it home and started thinking????? what can I do? I deceided to try something, I blocked the Floyd, placed a small piece of oak across the nut,(to prevent the nut from splitting with all the pressure I was about to apply) and strung it up with all 24W strings in all positions and tuned it up way above 440 pitch with all wound strings, and proceeded to soakdown the fretboard with water, I soaked that baby all day long, and then just let it sit for a few days, every now and then I would go over and crank the strings a little tighter, and when I was done that baby was almost dead straight, after stringing it up it was perfect,the trussrod was all the way loose, but the thing played perfect, I was so proud of myself I gave it to my nephew, who playes in a metal band(existence) his main player has been a model 6 I bought him 5 years ago,since I gave him the model 5 about six months ago he hasn't hardly touched the model 6. Just a little tech story I thought you guys might like to hear, it might help someone sometime."But it still needs a little more to be perfect, i was hoping someone was familiar with the hot neck press method. thank's

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

What would keep the neck from returning to the back bow once all this is done?

I suspect a more effective way to fix this would be to remove the fingerboard (heat and moisure to loosen glue), clean the mating surfaces and reglue the fingerboard in a clamping jig that pre-shapes the neck bow as required. After the glue cures, the new shape should be retained. As a further measure: Once the fingerboard is removed, you might consider replacing the truss rod with a two way adjustable version to further address this problem.

One other thing occurs to me. This condition sometimes results from incorrectly sawn (too narrow) fret wire slots, or replacing the original set of frets with new frets that have a thicker thick tang or aggressive (big) tang teeth. When this is the case, the neck will back bow as frets are installed, because the overly thick tangs force open the fret slots. The fix in this case is to refret the neck with the proper wire, making sure the fret slots are sized correctly for the fret wire tang.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jacksonaxes)
Topic starter  

"gnease" I think that's what I have been waiting to hear, could someone fill me in on removing the fretboard, in more detail please, thank's. Bill That's what the hot neck press was supposed to do, loosen the glue, while the neck is right, and when it cools all was supposed to be good?

ReplyQuote