Clear all

Important Wiring Questions

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have a few questions i've run into while trying to rewire my guitar.

1. It is a SG style guitar and I know you are supposed to run the ground to the stud on the bridge. How do you exactly go about doing this??? It seems that you would break the solder when putting the stud in the guitar.

2. The pickups i'm using are Dimarzio Virtual PAFs, it is a four way conductor pickup. There are five wires after you strip away the shielding, a red, black, white, green, and a bare wire. I'm not to sure what to do with the bare wire. The directions say to solder the black and white together and tape them together. The red is supposed to be the hot, and the green and bare are supposed to be the grounds. The bare wire isn't covered by any shielding and I don't exactly know how to solder such a big wire with out a huge clump of solder. Any suggestions or do i even need this wire???

Hope you guys can help because i can't find any pictures to look at, and i can't really find any more instructions about the bare wire. I have looked for quite a long time last night and i'm stuck until i can figure these to problems out. Thanks A Lot..

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Grounding the bridge: Pull out the stud insert closest to the control cavity. There should be a small "sneak" hole running between the stud hole and the control cavity. Run a length of bare, tin-plated copper solid wire through the sneak hole from the control cavity into the stud hole. 22 AWG should be about the right size. Let about a 3/8 in (9 or 10 mm) of the bare wire protrude into the stud hole. Bend the protruding wire down into the hole and nearly flush against the side of the hole wall. Press the stud insert back into the hole. This will captivate the wire and make a good electrical contact between insert and wire.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well thanks a lot for both of you answering my questions so fast. I thought i had to solder the wire onto the bridge but i guess any contact is good, my brain just doesn't think out of the box like some peoples i guess. Those wiring diagrams will come in handy, I was almost done but now I need to go back and move a few wires. Thanks for preventing a real screw up. Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well when i got home after work today I tried out some of the diagrams you guys gave me and messed up horribly. Then I sat there looking for a long time and finally figured out what i did wrong and now it works. Tested it with my cellphone and it works real good.

ReplyQuote