Skip to content
Humbucker question....

Notifications
Clear all

Humbucker question...does it need replacing?

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@redrainripper)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey hey...Long time no post. So anyway I'm back for my Thanksgiving break and I finally got to mess around with my Epiphone (which has sort of become my new project guitar since getting the Les). I adjusted the truss rod, took the covers off the humbuckers and lowered the bridge a bit. Man what a difference, the intonation on it is even more dead on than my Gibson.

One problem though...after I was playing some riffs, I noticed that the sound sort of faded out almost like it was muffled. Then it slowly faded back in to what it usually sounds like. This typically occurs in the first few minutes of playing and then doesn't happen again, but my curisoity is getting to me. Is the pickup damaged or is it just a bad pickup that's been sitting around too long?

I know its not the cables or the amp, I just bought new monster cables that are awesome and my les works without a problem so what gives?

Also, if i need to get a new pickup, which i wouldn't mind doing anyway, would I hold to solder, because if so, I'm pretty much screwed for doing it myself.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it's an Epiphone SG Special