Clear all

HELP: installing pickup covers

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@brotha_down)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

hey my epiphone lp didnt come with pickup covers, so i went and bought a pair of nickle gibson covers..
so i wanna see if they fit and i think  i know what to do.. i need to take the strings off, remove pickup rings and put hte covers on... but i need help, i htink i know how to remove the strings from reading a few articles, but do i need to put new ones on after i take off the old ones?

also, is there any order i should take the strings off an put them back on in to prevent warping or nething?

im new at this so any help would be awesome

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You can take the strings off in any order you like - you won't warp the neck. What you should remember to do is take a careful look at the bridge and stop tail - when all the strings are off, the stop tail will also come off (maybe the bridge as well).
Another consideration is whether the covers will fit over pups that weren't built to have covers fitted - but I'm guessing here.
You would be wise to put a new set of strings on, as they get worn and old - a new set will sound very different to old strings. I think Epi LPs come with 9-42's as standard.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@brotha_down)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ya, my guitar isnt even 2 months old so i dont wanna buy new strings yet.. and im planning on going with 10's when i do switch, ive got an epi lp100, lowest model so it may be different than other epi lps', the part where the strings go thru at the bottom of the guitar just has holes that they slide thru so i dont think itll come off... i think ive got it figured out, ill prolly try it tonight.

oh ya, my pickups have a lot of space around them so im pretty sure theyll fit, but thanks for hte help!! :)

ReplyQuote
(@arcmage)
Trusted Member

The old tune-o-matic bridge saddles could pop out but not the new ones. (old ones just had a wire holding them in)  The bridge itself should never just drop off. The stopbar should not come loose either, but you may want to be careful not to hit the thumbscrews on it since without the tension they are easier to turn. I have a Gibson but I think those parts are pretty much the same.  I am not sure of the pickup covers though. I really never thought of removing or adding covers to any given pickup.  Good Luck there.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You could just loosen the strings up to give you room to work and not remove them completely. If you were going to remove them you may as well put new ones on or wait till the time comes to change them.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The old tune-o-matic bridge saddles could pop out but not the new ones. (old ones just had a wire holding them in)  The bridge itself should never just drop off. The stopbar should not come loose either, but you may want to be careful not to hit the thumbscrews on it since without the tension they are easier to turn. I have a Gibson but I think those parts are pretty much the same.  I am not sure of the pickup covers though. I really never thought of removing or adding covers to any given pickup.  Good Luck there.

Most Tune-O-Matic bridges and stud tailpeices do indeed by design lift and slide off their studs, respectively, when the strings are removed. This has caused more than a few to put nasty scratches on their LPs and similar. If yours do not, it's because you either have locking screws (e.g., tonepros @ http://www.tonepros.com/ ) or (more probably) the studs are spaced slightly too wide or too narrow and just happen to bind enough to hold the bridge/tailpiece in place.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

ya, my guitar isnt even 2 months old so i dont wanna buy new strings yet..
I'd change those if I were you. Two months is pretty old for a set of strings, especially light ones. Also, if you didn't change them when you got the guitar, there's no telling how old they really are.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Two months? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :shock:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote