Clear all

"Ping"

15 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

On one guitar of my friends I get a distinctive "ping" when I tune it.  What is this ping?  Its a bad nut, right?  Thats what I told her but I said I'd check online to be sure and get back.  Any ideas?

aka Izabella

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It's not necessarily bad, but it may have a burr or it may have developed a channel that is too tight.  You could try using a very fine rat tail file to give it a pass or two or try using a bit of graphite.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I think you might be correct. Sounds like the string is getting caught up in the nut when you tune it. Might need to file it a bit to fix the problem, or try using lighter gauge strings. Find out if she just recently switched to heavier strings. If you do file it, be careful not to do it too much. Check also to make sure the string isn't getting hung up somewhere else also. Is it sitting on the bridge properly?, etc.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you do anything to the nut make absolutely certain that you only change the width of the slot and not it's depth.

First try using graphite. I've yet to work out why, but you can often buy powdered graphite in cycle depts/shops.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Another thought would be that the string slips on the tuner, from perhaps not being wrapped around enough times or properly secured. I'v seen this when someone has wrapped the string around the tuner and it wasen't wrapped tight. Then when they tune it tightens ups. and you'll also here it make a sound.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@acecchetto)

First try using graphite. I've yet to work out why, but you can often buy powdered graphite in cycle depts/shops.

You can alway use a plain old pencil. :)

I use Ernie Ball Power Slinky's, check out the rest of the lineup here;
http://www.ernieball.com/products.php
CHECK OUT MY BAND!
http://users.vianet.ca/dap/

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Another thought would be that the string slips on the tuner, from perhaps not being wrapped around enough times or properly secured.
Or too many times.  That can slip too.
You can alway use a plain old pencil.
Yeah the powder is way too messy for me.

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

my electric does that occasionaly, and ive concluded that it was the gears in the one tuning head, so i had that fixed (peavy fails me yet again)
that was my situation, but hopefully thats not yours, its rediculous to have to buy 6 tuning heads in order to replace 1.

ReplyQuote
(@saryu)
Trusted Member

If you do anything to the nut make absolutely certain that you only change the width of the slot and not it's depth.

It's for attaching to the back of your bicycle with a connected button on the handlebars. You push the button to shoot out a spray of black graphite which will confound your pursuers whilst you escape, laughing maniacly.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Also, you can dump a canister of it on the pavement, causing your pursuers to slide off the road and die in a fiery crash.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member

You can alway use a plain old pencil. :)

You can also get sticks of graphite from art stores. They sell them for drafting pencils, and there's a number of grades. Go for the softest grade you can find (2B seems to work all right for me, but they come softer than that, I'm sure) and get a lead pointer as well to sharpen them so you can get the point into the nut slots.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Also, you can dump a canister of it on the pavement, causing your pursuers to slide off the road and die in a fiery crash.

Completely off subject here, but I read a book about Russia invading Hungary in 1956 when I was young. The Hungarians knew the Russians were coming in tanks, so they rubbed bar soap all over the streets. The tanks were helpless, slipped and slided and often got stuck. Then they would bomb the tank with Molotov cocktails. :D

They also changed all the street signs in Budapest completely confusing the Russians.

The Russians eventually took over and restored the government to a Communist system, but the people sure gave them fits with a little soap.

Back to the subject, I just take a razor blade and scrape a little graphite off a pencil lead. Works fine.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

you can always crush the unused portion into a diamond and buy a guitar that doesn't "Ping"

why does this remind me of that Monty Python sketch?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Don't know, but "ping" is a funny word. :D

Which Monty Python sketch are you talking about?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Don't know, but "ping" is a funny word. :D

Which Monty Python sketch are you talking about?

lol i can't believe i found it. youtube rox!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCITMfxvEc

#4491....

ReplyQuote