Clear all

HELP My guitar flipped out on me

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@sparky1ma)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I changed strings on my guitar lastnight and when I started to play the A string buzzes really bad. What can I do to fix it?
A. I'm using same brand and size strings as were on it (2221 lime regular slinky's)
B. My guitar was set up by a qualified tech.
C. I've changed strings a couple of times and this is the first time this has happened.
D. Guitar is a Les Paul Special II
It sounds as if the A string is vibrating off the first fret :? but you folks may have a better idea.
I'm afraid to mess with the bridge tuners because I like the action and it actually sounds (or sounded) good
any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Where am I going....and why am I in this hand basket?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Since it's only the A string, I'll assume the neck relief is okay.

Things to check:

A. the string (sometimes a bad one),
B. the nut and
C. the frets.

But not necessarily in that order...

Start with the easy stuff: Buzz goes away when you fret at the first fret? If so, check the (B) nut for damage (chips around the string slot, overly wide or deep slot) and also the (C) first fret to see if it popping out of its fretboard slot (= "high" fret). If it's still buzzing at the first fret, keep fretting down the fretboard until you find the point where the buzzing is no more. Stop there and check out the first buzzless (C) fret to see if it high. If none of this fails to stop buzzing or it does, but you cannot find a problem with the nut or a fret, then it's time to change that (A) string.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@sparky1ma)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thank you for taking the time to make suggestions, I'll check all that you suggested.

ReplyQuote
(@sparky1ma)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Upon closer inspection I found out it is not the A string as I thought it's the B string and it is set a little further down in the nut than the rest of them. Is there a way to remedy that? If I went with a set of heavier gauge strings would that solve my problem? Thank you again for taking the time to help me out.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Plastic or bone nut, right? Obviously you could replace it. But the common repair method is to make a paste of the nut material filings (powder, basically) and super glue (cyanoacrylate) and apply a little to the area needing to be built up. As you probably don't have any nut filings, you can substitute baking soda. It takes very little to do this build up. Don't overdo it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@sparky1ma)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks I'll give it a shot

ReplyQuote
(@sparky1ma)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thank you very much, I did exactly what you said. You're right is doesn't much. Now it plays like it's suppose to. :D Again thanks for all your advice.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Glad to help -- play on!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

A guitar tech super glued the nut groove of my b string a few years ago and it's been great.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote