Notifications
Clear all

Help Soldering Toggle Switch

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@cantsolder)
Topic starter  

Hi, I want to replace my epiphone toggle switch with a gibson replacement and I have mapped out where the wires go, etc, and have access to a soldering iron and solder. My one problem is that I have no knowledge of how to solder and do not really have any place I can take my guitar to get this done. So I was wondering if someone could kindly give my step by step information on how to solder the new switch with the wires. Thank you :D

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

This thread might help you get started:
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=24035

But PRACTICE on spare parts first.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@cantsolder)
Topic starter  

I am still slightly confused, I am going to run through what I plan to do, and will someone correct me where I am doing something wrong, thanks :) :
1.clip wire tips closest to original soldering job on stock switch.
2.Remove switch
3.take wires and wrap them around their associated holes.
4.Take soldering iron, wipe on wet sponge, heat it.
5.while heating, apply small bit of .062 rosin-core solder to iron, then wipe off on sponge.
6.Take heated iron, connect it to both the wire and eyelet for a second and then apply .062 diameter rosin-core for a second on to area.
7.repeat steps 5 amd 6 for other eyelets
8.Let it cool
9.reinstall
10.Done

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

I am still slightly confused, I am going to run through what I plan to do, and will someone correct me where I am doing something wrong, thanks :) :
1.clip wire tips closest to original soldering job on stock switch.
2.Remove switch
3.take wires and wrap them around their associated holes.
4.Take soldering iron, wipe on wet sponge, heat it.
5.while heating, apply small bit of .062 rosin-core solder to iron, then wipe off on sponge.
6.Take heated iron, connect it to both the wire and eyelet for a second and then apply .062 diameter rosin-core for a second on to area.
7.repeat steps 5 amd 6 for other eyelets
8.Let it cool
9.reinstall
10.Done

That sounds correct. Just make sure you let the iron get nice and hot. Also, after you make a connection, tug on it FIRMLY to make sure that it's a good connection. Every so often, you'll get what's called a "cold solder", where the solder doesn't stick. If that happens, the joint will come off when pulled on. If that happens, just solder the connection again.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

The biggest mistake that most people make is trying to melt the solder with the iron. This will result in at best a weak connection and more likely a cold solder joint. The purpose of the iron is to heat up the connector so that it melts the solder.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I SECOND the practice idea.

Soldering isn't ROCKET SURGERY but a little practice will help insure the results on your axe.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@vers1on)

I'm having a problem with my switch, too actually. And it's a standard Strat style switch.

ReplyQuote
(@vers1on)

How do you solder?

I have a soldering iron, which is just a long stick, one end having a plastic handle, the other with the heated tip. Then there's the separate wire and rosin core solder.

So I first heat up the tip. I clean the surface I'm going to be applying solder to. Then what do I do? I basically need someone to hold my hand while I'm soldering, as my soldering is horrible. I don't understand what people do to make their solders good (besides practice). I don't know how to cover the wire with solder; I just know how to make the tip of the wire meet with the pot. This is bad because it can easily be pulled off. How do you make it so that the a big portion of the wire is stuck and covered to the pot?

I understand now, since I watched the clip. Now I just have to practice.

ReplyQuote