Notifications
Clear all

helppppppp !!!!!!

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@pcroke)
Topic starter  

Could someone please help me with a problem that is driving me absolutely crazy.I have a Fender accoustic and a problem with the 2nd string only.The intonation is fine, tuning - conventional and harmonically is fine and everything sounds great with chords until I play a ' D ' The 2ndstring is out of tune withnormal pressure applied. If I play the one finger on the 3rd fret " lighter" the chord is fine, however this is bothersome to play this way. It is almost like there is a valley inbetween the frets. I taped a piece of matchbook cover below the string and it played normally. I then used a capo to F' tuning (2nd fret) and the problem reoccured at the 5th fret. It is the same from the nut up the only way I can describe it is like " too much room under the string between frets" but everything looks o.k. I hope someone can help me with this, it looks pretty tacky with cardbord taped to the neck to raise the fret-board. thanks in advance for all your help.

(@number6)
Estimable Member

It sounds to me like you're pressing too hard. You don't need to press down the string so much that it touches the fretboard, just enough that it touches the fret.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

I agree with Number6. try pressing a bit lighter. you only need to press down hard enough for the note to ring clearly, you don't have to mash it into submission...

Also, are you sure you're not actually bending the string sideways ?

maybe a heavier gauge string will help... it will allow you to press a bit harder without bending the string out of tune as easily.

Peace

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You'd think the capo would rule out issues with nut height but it doesn't.

I'd find a qualified luthier to do a setup and maybe a bone saddle while he's at it :D

It will probably run $75 with the new saddle and it will play like buttah.

ReplyQuote