Skip to content
Hissing sound from ...

Notifications
Clear all

Hissing sound from amp, unsure if guitar is at fault.

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@dsm-iv-tr)
Topic starter  

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong area for this post.

I removed the string ground from my Squier Tele, as I don't want my body acting as ground while I'm touching the strings (the noise generated by the Tele is tolerable). Nothing else has been modified on the guitar. Since then, I've found out my house has electrical outlets that are grounded to their respective outlet boxes, and not to a central ground wire.

I have noticed that if I touch a metal part of my amp (a Fender Frontman 15W practice dealie), all excess noise stops. It also stops, as expected, if I touch the control panel on the Tele.

My question to you folks is this: could this be a result of the house's grounding, or would it indicate a ground loop or something within my amp, or possibly guitar? My theory is that something is "leaking" to the metal portions of the amplifier, but I'm not entirely sure and I don't want to open the amp unless I have to (I am entirely competent w/ a soldering iron, but it's a lot of hassle if nothing is wrong).

Thanks!

(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Although I honestly can't answer your post with the kind of information your asking for, but...

First off, welcome to guitar noise

Second, This is the right place for this kind of question. Ask away! 8)

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

If your wooried about getting shocked install a cap between the trem and the ground.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote