Clear all

How do you ground a tuneomatic bridge?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was looking at some wiring diagrams for les paul type guitars, thinking I would upgrade the electronics on my cheap little SX and I noticed that they kept referring to a ground wire to the bridge. Call me stupid, but I haven't seen that on any lp or lp copy that I've handled. Can someone shed some light? Thanks.

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

If pop off the larger of the back covers.. and you see where any of the bridge bolts come through.. or just that one?

I'm thinking you should have access to it from someplace in that cavity, looks for a small hole.

Just an idea...... :roll:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

There should be a small "sneak" hole drilled between the control cavity and the closest stopbar tailpiece hole. Before that tailpiece stud insert is pushed into the body, a piece of bare wire should be threaded through the connecting sneak hole so a bit extra (maybe 1 cm) protrudes into the stud insert's hole. When the insert is pushed into the hole, the wire will be trapped between body wood and the stud insert and makes good electrical contact. And of course the other end is left hanging out in the control cavity for soldering to the common ground point.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the responses, Gnease and Dagwood, I finallly figured out that SX tried to tie into a bridge stud from the bridge pickup cavity instead of the control cavity. I'm planning on replacing the dime-sized pots with full size CTS pots and a sprague orange drop capacitor. SX's wiring arrangement is a little strange, the feed to the jack comes off the tone pot and the neck and bridge pickups are reversed on the selector switch (or the switch was put in upside down). It all works, but I think it will be better once I straighten it all out.

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote