Notifications
Clear all

Removing Pickup Covers

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rdextraze)
Topic starter  

I have a Epi Les Paul Standard, can the pickup covers be removed? If so, how and will the pickups need to be readjusted (raised/lowered)? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Its just for the look, i'm going to put all black hardware on it Thanks agin

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey RDex,

I'm sure you can... you can do almost anything you want to a guitar as long as you have enough money and can find the right person who knows what they're doing. Most P/U's are dipped or coated in wax to keep the windings and other bits together. On the standard I'm sure the covers are put on when the wax is still somewhat warm like a glue.

I woudn't necessarily try to change them myself, I'd just go buy some better ones and I'm sure on an EPI LP Standard that would be an Upgrade. It's probably a bit cheaper just to replace em too.

<SHRUG ???>

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@rdextraze)
Topic starter  

thanks for the info, i'm pretty happy with the sound of the pups, i use a line 6 2x12 amp and the soound is really good, i know how to do alot of the repairs/replacements, i just never took covers off a pickup b4 and was just curious. i think the epi pups get a bad rap, i've owned several gibson les pauls, standards and customs, and i think the amp matters more than the pups, just my opinion. thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Yeah I too have an EPI LP.. its a Cherry Burst Custom.

I love this guitar!!!

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@rdextraze)
Topic starter  

mine is black, i got such a deal on this it's not even funny, it had a broken grover, and one of the volume knobs was pushed down too far on the pot stem and would turn without rubbing on the body, and a few bad, not to the wood, scratches on the back. Got it for $170 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've got an old strat copy that i've had for years, a Hurricane by Moridaria, and put some GFS (guitar fetish) pickups on it and i'm very impressed with them for the money, have you ever tried them?

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

OH yeah, I modified a Squier '51. Got a GFS Humby w/pearl inlay and a gold lipstick put into it.. sounds nice and smooth and the Humber has a nice BITE. I'm not too impressed with the controls though I want to up grade those one of these days.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

You might be able to remove the covers, they are usually just soldered on to the bottom plate of the pickup, but I agree that it will not be easy and you might actually ruin the pickup (it gets too hot, the metal cover rips some of the wire as you remove the cover, etc). I think you have two options:

- Find a set of double-black Epi pickups to replace these Epi pickups. You should actually make a dollar or two if you sell your existing pickups.

- Upgrade the pickups to Duncans or Dimarzios (or Gibsons). You can get a set of Dimarzios for $80, Duncans for $105 and Gibsons for about $120.

You can try to take the covers off, but I think you are better served to just get new pups. Just my opinion. Better yet, get some replacements to throw in and see if you like the sound. If you do - you are all set. If not, take the time to take your existing covers off (and you can still play the Epi) and then swap.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

What about if he painted the existing pickups? Would the paint just chip off and look bad, or could it be a semi-okay cheap fix?

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

The paint would chip off over the course of playing.

O, and in terms of your second question - raising or lowering of the pickups... you will have to adjust the pups anyway since you will have to reinstall them once you take the covers off. You can't remove the covers while the pickups are still in the guitar.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@rdextraze)
Topic starter  

Just a quick thanks guys, i appreciate the help.

ReplyQuote