Skip to content
How do you know if ...

Notifications
Clear all

How do you know if intonation needs changing?

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

topic.

Just curious is all, I don't think my guitar needs it, but if I'm doing adjustments and stuff, it would be good to know.

This is on an SX Strat.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Grab an electronic tuner ... each in tune string open should be in tune as well at the 12th fret. I use the 12th fret harmonic and the 12th fret fretted so the octave is the same. You can do a quick check with your ear to tell if it's alright. Generally a guitar whose intonation is "out" will sound crappy when barre chords are played on the highter frets as well.

This is from the Strat web site but it will be just what the doctor ordered for your SX. :wink:

http://www.fender.com/support/stratocaster.php

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

TR's method works, BUT...

you have to have new strings.

Intonation will change as your strings get dirty or old. You cannot adjust for this - the only cure is new strings.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

As the strings wear, they get flat in the upper frets. The frets wear little notches on the bottom of the strings, and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

I change the strings at least once per month. When I adjust the intonation at the 12th fret, I adjust it to be a tiny bit sharp. Then as they wear, the go through being on pitch and by the end of the month, a tiny bit flat.

I practice and gig on different guitars, and when I gig I play sax, wind synthesizer, guitar, flute, percussion controller, vocals and sometimes keyboards. So the guitar only gets a dozen or so songs per night. If I played guitar exclusively, I'd probably change the strings more often.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Yes, what they said.

Intonation is correct when the harmonic at the 12th fret matches the fretted note, at the twelth. Our electronic tuners tell us this.

And as was mentioned, the playing of a barre chord is one of the biggest giveaways (indicators) of intonation, whether it's right or wrong.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone for the info!

I don't think I need to change my strings every month since I don't play out. I play everyday, but not in a hard core sort of way. I change my strings every 3 months or so. I think that maybe I should change them more often, I just don't.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I generally give the intonation a quick check whenever I change the strings which, for me, can be anything between one week and 18 months.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Yes, what they said.

Intonation is correct when the harmonic at the 12th fret matches the fretted note, at the twelth. Our electronic tuners tell us this.

And as was mentioned, the playing of a barre chord is one of the biggest giveaways (indicators) of intonation, whether it's right or wrong.

if the nut placement is incorrect, then the intonation done by this method alone is flawed. it's a good idea also to check intonation at 3/15 and 5/17 (either harmonic or fundamental of lower - using e-tuner makes either especially easy), if all three are pretty good, you are set to go. if lower is off, usually a nut issue. upper is a bridge problem.

for chord comparos: check various CAGED forms of a chord against the open (1st position) version. differences will point out nut and bridge created intonation issues.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote