Notifications
Clear all

How to choose a pick-up

30 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

from what is read/posted it sounds like you both have serious project guitars.not a bad thing but is interesting. :idea:

Heroes Don't wear capes.They wear Dog tags

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

a Grestch for $80... oh my god! You can't get any kind of crap guitar for under $100 'round here.

So I've tried all the knob's switches & dials & still not happy with the single coil tone at high gain.
Maybe a TV Jones in the bridge would be more in line with the rest of the guitar. It's all a bit expensive at the moment, the wife's just been on a shopping spree. I don't begrudge her that, she's deserved it. But that means work on guitar projects slows while I pay for little things like food & electricity. :lol:

"Who says you can't 'dive bomb' a bigsby?!"

ReplyQuote
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

yeah Rob,you may have to rethink and revamp the whole project as utilities are a must have everywhere all the time.sorry to hear things did not work out as expected.indeed those are rare occasions.
http://www.gretschguitars.com/resources/definitions.html

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah - it gets dark without the lights.
That being said the cheapie is getting some fresh pick-ups that are highly reccomended by my luthier & are relatively cheap. Selling a takamine acoustic I never use to pay for it.

I work around dead people alot in my day job so I often wake up to myself & go - hey, money's not everything!! Getting some better gigs now too, so the electricty is all paid & the mortgage can wait - is all about the music, man 8) !

I'll try these babies out in the cheapie, & if I like I might get one in Christine's bridge. But I've also gone to heavier strings & that's made an improvement in the quakiness. I've also been listening to some of my favourite guitar gods & found some quakiness in their tone - so maybe it just can't be eliminated on these types of guitar - it might be in the construction rather than the pickups!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

Yeah - it gets dark without the lights.
That being said the cheapie is getting some fresh pick-ups that are highly reccomended by my luthier & are relatively cheap. Selling a takamine acoustic I never use to pay for it.

I work around dead people alot in my day job so I often wake up to myself & go - hey, money's not everything!! Getting some better gigs now too, so the electricty is all paid & the mortgage can wait - is all about the music, man 8) !

I'll try these babies out in the cheapie, & if I like I might get one in Christine's bridge. But I've also gone to heavier strings & that's made an improvement in the quakiness. I've also been listening to some of my favourite guitar gods & found some quakiness in their tone - so maybe it just can't be eliminated on these types of guitar - it might be in the construction rather than the pickups!!!!
Yep it do get dark without lights.Amazing how another set of strings can change things isn't it? best of luck on the pickups.so they will and do not cost a bundle.they may surprise you like an old set of P90's did on a friends ebay squire he bought did.he was shocked they sounded as good as they do. the PU's cost as much as the guitar he won.I know one happy camper.hope things work out for you too. :mrgreen:check out the pups here http://www.deanguitars.com/home.php

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Got the Cheapie fitted with some nre pup's - don't even know the brand but they make a hell of a difference. Clear & tonefull now instead of muddy. And only $50 each! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

Got the Cheapie fitted with some nre pup's - don't even know the brand but they make a hell of a difference. Clear & tonefull now instead of muddy. And only $50 each! 8)
That's Great amazing isn'n it.while knowing the brand would be nice.The fact that they make you and your ears(especially) happy it all comes down that.may I/we ask what happened with your 'Chritine.any pics coming up of her or the Chiepie and which is your go to guitar now? great Deal bro.Glad you are a happy camper now Rob :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

Just a quick note for Rob or anyone else looking for pickups.check out the reviews on these pups.
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Guitar+Pickup/product/WCR+Guitar+Pickups/Crossroad/10/1

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok - I took some current photo's of Christine & Jenny-Lee. Now how do I put them on here....anyone?
I still go to Christine for gig's because she's got the bigsby, but Jenny-Lee will be my standby & probably come out when we play harder psychobilly stuff... I really need a Bigsby on Jenny-Lee & a stronger pup on Christine & then they'd be fairly well matched. After my GREAT Luthier got a hold of Jenny she out-plays Chrsitine (no offence to the luthier I originally took Christine to)- no choking up high, better access... they are now VERY comparable. :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

Ok - I took some current photo's of Christine & Jenny-Lee. Now how do I put them on here....anyone?
I still go to Christine for gig's because she's got the bigsby, but Jenny-Lee will be my standby & probably come out when we play harder psychobilly stuff... I really need a Bigsby on Jenny-Lee & a stronger pup on Christine & then they'd be fairly well matched. After my GREAT Luthier got a hold of Jenny she out-plays Chrsitine (no offence to the luthier I originally took Christine to)- no choking up high, better access... they are now VERY comparable. :twisted:

Good you took the photos.now question is do you or can you save them to your computer? as in scan them.if so and can put them in my pictures /documents then upload them to something like photobucket there is an image(IMG) tab in reply you need to fill.most likely with an http:// format(no doubt a paste job) photobucket will provide you.once you get the program that comes through as Flock by the way.we can move from there.reason being with photobucket even it gives you a lot of choices to use to insert a pic.
just so happens I know a sure fire way to make the right choice.let me know if you have a program or website to use to put them on which also provides the same type protocol.speaking of which I knew someone in New Albany.is that part of old Australia too? - you sure Jenny can handle a Bigsby or will a conventional trem work better? bet both are now sweet guitars :)
as for a stronger pup.have you viewed the link I put up.Just a quick note for Rob

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yup, read the link - they sound pretty cool. Jenny'll take a bigsby ok, it's just a matter of affording one (same old story). Then again without it I'll have one guitar that will stay in tune :lol:
Just trying the photo-bucket-thingy now...
Jenny-Lee (the cheapie):

Christine:

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Nup - didn't work. I AM computer illiterate....

ReplyQuote
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

Yup, read the link - they sound pretty cool. Jenny'll take a bigsby ok, it's just a matter of affording one (same old story). Then again without it I'll have one guitar that will stay in tune :lol:
Just trying the photo-bucket-thingy now......

Good,just know like the bigsby those pups are not cheap but from what I understand from the review and those that have em they're worth every cent.people I know that have them did not spring for the pup covers,just another added probably not needed expense no one needs those(expenses that is).if I can access from another machine tomorrow I will be in touch if not it'll have to wait till I get to my own to see how you made out with photobucket. cheers mate 8)

ReplyQuote
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

go here and find join and/or download it and join. http://photobucket.com/

ReplyQuote
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

Found your pictures of the guitars Rob.Christine is the Black one and Jenny is orange right?both look good but like you I'm partial to Christine
Jenny Lee

Christine

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2