Clear all

How to Ground with a wood bridge...

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@secondhandcbg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been building Cigar Box Guitar's for about a year now. I've started including a single humbucker to them. I know basic guitar wiring. This guitar has 1 volume and 1 tone control. My problem is that I don't have a metal bridge. I'm using a wood bridge and bone saddle (like a standard acoustic guitar). Any ideas on how to ground out the bridge? I'm getting some ground buzz (until I touch the pickup and/or controls).

Also, I just got a new amp (fender blues) and I hear more ground issues with that as apposed to my Vox Valvetronics. Any ideas on that?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

with bridge pins? if so, I've done this. I mounted a very thin brass strip (with six holes for the ball ends and pins) on the inside of the guitar, right on the bridge plate. Soldered a ground wire to that.

lucky you -- instead of having to make one, you can buy this for the same purpose (wish I had known at the time):

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Acoustic_guitar_bridges/1/Plate_Mate/Pictures.html#details

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I suppose you could just put a grounded, perforated strip on the inside for the string balls to rest against, if you didn't like brass pins.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I suppose you could just put a grounded, perforated strip on the inside for the string balls to rest against, if you didn't like brass pins.

did read the post above yours? (brass pins are useless for this, as they won't do anything for this issue in "conductive vacuum.")

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@secondhandcbg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys...i did run a steel strip on the tale piece where the strings ran thru. Seemed to help a little. Do all the strings have to be ground or could I get away with just a few? Thanks again for all your help

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Thanks guys...i did run a steel strip on the tale piece where the strings ran thru. Seemed to help a little. Do all the strings have to be ground or could I get away with just a few? Thanks again for all your help

You really want them all grounded. Each of the strings is acting like an aerial collecting noise in the environment and feeding it into the guitar's electronics. Grounding the strings sends that noise to ground.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote