Clear all

Soldering problems

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@cistec)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Can any body tell me why I am getting some sort of dark resin at the same time as I am soldering my Les Paul pots in a rewire job?

I am using 60/40 mix with 40watt, I clean the tip and tin it before hand. I try to make a solder onto the pot and as I am doing it it starts to produce this dark substance like resin under the solder and on the pot and I am sure this is causing the problem I am having in grounding and making a good contact...Or i could be wrong and this is a normal reaction when soldering..

Can any guru explain why this is happing or tell me what to do to stop it please.

cistec

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The dark resin is rosin. It's included in the solder as a flux that helps the solder to bind to the surface of the metal being soldered. You won't have much success soldering without a flux. It doesn't prevent the solder from binding to the surface. There are lots of good instructional pages on how to solder online, some with video. In a nutshell, everything has to be clean, in good mechanical and electrical contact before the solder goes on (don't expect the solder to make the connection), and the metal being soldered has to be hot before the solder goes on. You can't flow solder on cold metal.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote