Skip to content
Epiphone FT-160 CAL...

Notifications
Clear all

Epiphone FT-160 CALLABERO six string,worth fixing up?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

My Dad gave me a guitar he picked up at a thrift store he paid five bucks for.It appears that this model is a pre-Gibson era Epiphone. I tried to look it up on the net,but didn't find anything. The guitar has no tuners,saddle,strings and some damage to the soundhole near the neck. I don't mind to add a little money to fix it a little bit for sentimental reasons,maybe a couple hundred at the most.

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Hmmm... and old Epiphone 12 string...

For parts you'll be looking at roughly:
- A set of tuners - maybe $60-80
- saddle $5 for a blank
- nut $5 for a blank
- strings $10-20 depending on what brand you like.

So we're up to $80-100 for parts. Of course you can get higher quality, and spend more.

Now, about the damage near the soundhole...
I found this Epi FT-160, that Elderly was selling. Take a look at the "front detail" picture. Is that similar to what's happened to yours?

They sold theirs for $75, and it had all it's parts. They described it as "needs much work".

Were you planning on this as a DIY project, or getting a pro to do it?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

That's excatly what it looks like. But the neck looks funky to me,it sits down on guitar face and the front part of the guitar,like a electric guitar would..I thought about letting a pro do it,but it might be a perfect DIY project. I wouldn't loose anything but the price I spend on parts,and if I fix it it would be GREAT knowing I done it.I haven't yet seen a neck that looks like what I got though,form the back veiw.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It isn't worth it.

Sad but true.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I agree with Nick, from a cost-benefit viewpoint, it's not worth it
Unless, part of the benefit is that you want to learn about guitar repair, and you enjoy hands-on woodworking projects...
I haven't yet seen a neck that looks like what I got though,form the back veiw.

Is yours a bolt-on neck like the one I linked?
If it is, then there's no harm in taking it off and looking around a bit.
There'll be some wood that needs replacing. Probably a brace or 2 to re-install, or possibly re-make. The neck block may need to be un-glued, and re-glued into proper position. The top will have to be massaged back to flat and re-inforced some.

And after all that, it will probably only be an average guitar.
Or it might not be repairable without major surgery.

But maybe you'll learn something in the act of trying. If you're into that sort of work. Not everyone is.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote