Clear all

Crack in soundboard

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@david-mohn)
Topic starter  

Howdy,

I know that this topic has been covered several times, but I also know that the repair depends on the type of crack.
I bought this guitar several years ago. I was out of town and didn't have a guitar with me, so I went to the nearest pawn shop and picked it up for $40. It was cracked when I bought it, but I didn't think much of it. It still played fine, and it was just to get me through a couple of nights. However in the last few years I have grown quite attached to this guitar. It's the one that I play almost all the time. I just need to know the best way to fix these cracks. Or do they need to be repaired? I have heard that cracks along the grain really aren't that problematic.

I do have a bit of experience repairing guitars. I do all the work on my own, and have worked on quite a few guitars for other people. I am confident that I can fix this one, I've just never repaired a cracked soundboard before.

As shown in the pictures, the cracks are in the soundboard. They run along the grain and extend from the sound hole to the butt of the guitar.

Thanks for your help
Dave

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

David,

Perhaps you could also consider that we don't know how to answer your question. Sometimes questions are not easy as in this case.

Did you consult a professional luthier?

Good luck! :D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I didn't post anything because I didn't have any "expert" advice to offer. I'd look first on Frank Ford's site: http://frets.com/

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@david-mohn)
Topic starter  

Yes you all are right. I do apologize. I was having a very bad day, and was frustrated with several things. I snapped and I shouldn't have. Please accept my apology.

Thank you for the link Ricochet. There is some really good info there.

Thanks,
Dave

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Frank Ford's site is terrific!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Frank Ford's site is terrific!
So is his shop - Gryphon Stringed Instruments. It's just up the road from me. It's a mostly acoustic place but they do have some electric instruments too. A lot of the local bluegrass and folk community centers around there.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote