Clear all

How To Install New Pots?

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've figured out the actually wiring for my pickups now, but first I have to replace the pots.

I'm wondering where the caps are supposed to go. I've seen pictures with them solder to the middle lugs of both the volume and tone pots, and other pictures where they were soldered just from the middle lug of the tone pot, to the back of the casing. Which one is right?

Also, I want to know how to connect the two volume and two tone pots with the 3 way switch, and the output jack.

So if anyone is familar with replacing pots in a Les Paul style setup, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

There are a number of ways to wire an LP.

If you want either volume pot to act as master volume control when you're in the middle position, then use this one:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHH3T2201
(click the diagram to make it larger.)

If you want the volume pots to remain independent when you're in the middle position, then use this one:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHH3T2202

Either way will work with the tone cap; both of the above use the cap between the vol and tone pots.

More options here:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources.22pickupdiagrams/

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Mitch, I like the look of the second one. Seems neat, and relatively simple.

I have one question though. The third lug on both tone pots, is shown as being soldered to the back of the pot, then grounded. Wouldn't that just ground the same thing twice?

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

If I understand it correctly, the connection from the lug sends the signal to the pot's casing, but then you still need to send it to ground (and ground the pot.)

Otherwise you'd run a connection from both the pot casing and the volume lug to a central grounding point. But by doing it as shown in the diagram, you do both at the same time: lug to pot, pot to ground.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Right on Mitch, that makes sense now. To connect the lug to the back of the lug, do I have to solder a lead? I've heard that you can fold it back over and just solder that, but that seems kind of sketchy to me.

Paul

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Right on Mitch, that makes sense now. To connect the lug to the back of the lug, do I have to solder a lead? I've heard that you can fold it back over and just solder that, but that seems kind of sketchy to me.

Paul

I would solder a lead, and solder the ground wire to the same spot on the pot casing. It seems to me that this would ensure continuity of the signal going to ground, but it may be unnecessary.

ReplyQuote