Clear all

Building Firebird

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Im looking into building a firebird from scratch I want to do a neck thru like on most of them but was not sure how to acheive this I had an idea of fiberglassing the neck to the body didnt know if that would work. For the body i am thinking either cocabola wood(sp) or fiberglass not sure fiberglass would sound to great but i thought itd be cool i also want to have a whammy bar on it what do i have to cut for the springs?does anybody have any templates or dimensions they could give to me any help would greatly be appreciated

(@the-dali)
Noble Member

You can get a neck-though neck from Carvin and then glue the wings on - just like what Gibson does.

Since you are building a Firebird, I would opt for a tune-o-matic tremolo (or possibly a Bigsby) instead of routing out the body.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member

Go join the forums at MIMF.com They all have a lot of experience in instrument building and should be able to give you more information than you'd find here.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@ririzarry)
Eminent Member

Another great resource for amateur guitar builders is Project Guitar Forum. Also check out the main page - Project Guitar for a number of guitar building tutorials. Its a very active board with a ton of information already there. Take advantage of the search function because what you want to know is already there. Much of what I've learned so far about guitar building (I'm in the process of building my first now - see my blog Building The Ergonomic Guitar), was gained from the fine folks on this site.

BTW - If you're doing a neck through, convention is that you start with your neck through piece which incorporates the neck and the portion of the wood that extends through the body and then glue on wings that you shape into the guitar body. Fiberglass is not a typical way of building guitars although that's not to say it can't be done or shouldn't be done. Gluing is just an easier way to go unless you're going for something specific that only fiberglassing can give you. Take a look at Parker Guitars who use carbon fiber composite to achieve certain goals. Also, take a look at Carvin's site - they sell neck through blanks. Stewart MacDonald also sells neck through blanks.

Building the Ergonomic Guitar

Guitar Designs. Ergonomics. Guitar Making.

ReplyQuote